• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Rail Routes for fare collection in members' experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulJ

Unless the guard

Unless the guard recognises where they got on and challenges them. Not sure how well guards spot these things
Not always easy to have your eyes everywhere. However, I recently worked 8 carriages between Canterbury West and Ramsgate. Next stop Sturry, short platform, only front 4 doors open. Upon departure from Sturry I meet a ticketless passenger in the 7th carriage stating he got on at Sturry. I point to the nearest door asking ‘was it this door?’ ‘Yes’ says he. ‘I think you got on at Canterbury West’ says I.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not always easy to have your eyes everywhere. However, I recently worked 8 carriages between Canterbury West and Ramsgate. Next stop Sturry, short platform, only front 4 doors open. Upon departure from Sturry I meet a ticketless passenger in the 7th carriage stating he got on at Sturry. I point to the nearest door asking ‘was it this door?’ ‘Yes’ says he. ‘I think you got on at Canterbury West’ says I.

Some people ain't the smartest.

RPI

Established Member
I had similar last week, chap asked for a ticket from Polsloe Bridge when we were fast, actually from Newcourt, Needless to say I took an avenue that didn't involve a ticket sale.

VideozVideoz

Haha love that. Not smart enough. If you’re gonna try and fare evade then at least make sure you’ve covered your bases. Better still, just buy the right ticket

PaulJ

Haha love that. Not smart enough. If you’re gonna try and fare evade then at least make sure you’ve covered your bases. Better still, just buy the right ticket
Yes indeed, they never think to do that.

Last edited:

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I’ve never seen any ticket checks at preston before and I’m there once every couple of weeks!
Ticket checks do happen at Preston, just mainly during the weekday peaks and it's usually Northern subcontracted Carlisle security bouncers with scanners.
In fairness, I've never had an issue with them, unlike some of the lot at Piccadilly.

VideozVideoz

Ticket checks do happen at Preston, just mainly during the weekday peaks and it's usually Northern subcontracted Carlisle security bouncers with scanners.
In fairness, I've never had an issue with them, unlike some of the lot at Piccadilly.
Why Carlisle-based?? Seems ludicrous. I agree about the Piccadilly lot, I find them rude, arrogant and unpleasant. Not interested in any form of reasoning (I’ve heard ppl try!) and eat a few ppl for breakfast. Saw similar behaviour on northern trains from impromptu ticket inspectors

markymark2000

On Moderation
Why Carlisle-based?? Seems ludicrous. I agree about the Piccadilly lot, I find them rude, arrogant and unpleasant. Not interested in any form of reasoning (I’ve heard ppl try!) and eat a few ppl for breakfast. Saw similar behaviour on northern trains from impromptu ticket inspectors
'Carlisle Security' are a security firm, same firm that Merseyrail use. They are not specifically based in Carlisle, just the company name.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Carlisle is an employment agency... they aren't talking about the staff actually coming from Carlisle!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Yeah, as others have said, it's an employment agency. Some of the ticket inspectors on train are Carlisle Security, some of them directly employed I believe. Most of them are reasonable.
There's some who do come along just to fine people for minor errors though.

Benjwri

Established Member
Oxford to Reading is also patchy compared with reasonably consistent XC checks heading north towards Birmingham
The Oxford shuttle and Didcot to Reading stoppers are particularly bad, never had a ticket checked on either.

Benjwri

Established Member
Because they are DOO and I’m guessing GWR don’t roster Ticket Examiners on the Thames Valley as they do in the West!
I think the Oxford shuttle would also be impossible since it's nearly impossible to stand. I've definitely seen Train Managers on the Didcot to Reading trains, but they waited till after Reading to come down through the train.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Because they are DOO and I’m guessing GWR don’t roster Ticket Examiners on the Thames Valley as they do in the West!
Indeed and all of the major stations (Oxford/Didcot/Reading) that most people will be travelling to/from are barriered. Of course that doesn't completely stop people from 'donutting' but it makes it unlikely to be worthwhile.

It's a different story to services that run to/from/via major unbarriered places such as the Worcester stations.

Birmingham

I've definitely seen Train Managers on the Didcot to Reading trains, but they waited till after Reading to come down through the train.
It’s mostly just the stoppers that are DOO. Most IETs will indeed have TMs.
It's a different story to services that run to/from/via major unbarriered places such as the Worcester stations.
Though those have TMs who are pretty good!

VideozVideoz

Do Thameslink trains not have a conductor? I was on one again yesterday and I saw no guard looking out at stations nor did I see anyone walk through the carriage so therefore no ticket checks

busestrains

On Moderation
Do Thameslink trains not have a conductor? I was on one again yesterday and I saw no guard looking out at stations nor did I see anyone walk through the carriage so therefore no ticket checks
No 100% of all Thameslink trains (and all Great Northern trains too) are fully DOO with nobody onboard other than the driver. The driver is the only staff member you will see on these trains. They have been DOO for decades. I believe it was one of the first services to go DOO. The only time a ticket check would take place is on the very rare occasion that a Revenue Protection Inspector (or "Passenger Host" as they renamed them to) boards the train.

island

Veteran Member
All Southeastern services, they were irregular before covid but are almost non existent now.
Quite the opposite. I travel regularly on Southeastern metro and mainline services and tickets are checked about half the time on-board mainline. During COVID there were very few checks.
Definately agree with this..I've had my ticket checked on Southeastern once....they seem to have a tendency to blockade stations instead
They especially like places like Sevenoaks and Greenhithe where potting passengers who try touching out their Oyster cards is a ready earner.
Eurorail/interrail etc passes use a different bar code to UK tickets, so will not work on UK ticket barriers.
They work perfectly well if the ticket barrier has been programmed properly, which is a big "if".
I've often been through Tonbridge and the ticket gates are left open and unattended, same at Tunbridge Wells. There is a ticket machine at Wye. I think the whole Southeastern network is ripe for fare evasion.
Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells have times during peak that the barriers are opened up to avoid safety issues with masses of grammar school kids coming through.
They used to have some handwritten paper tickets decades ago. But those are long gone. They are all printed with proper printers. Some heritage railways still use handwritten tickets if you buy onboard. But on our main railway network those have not been used for decades.
Miseryrail inspectors were still using paper ticket pads in the mid-10s.
The DLR stops every 60 seconds or so, just one crew member, yet the full train gets checked on most trips, as the train conductor can key on at any door to a simple control panel. One does wonder why this approach never seems to get replicated on the main railway, and why the few control panels that are provided are so complex in comparison.
As a regular DLR user I can assure you that the full train does not get checked on most or even very many trips. Most CSRs don't bother, and quite a lot of them still try to spend most of the journey in the "driving" position at the front.

Although isn't there normally a revenue block at St Ives during the summer months, both for revenue and to ensure the platform doesn't get too overcrowded?

Although maybe one for @RPI ?

Tired of banging my head against a wall with that part of the world I'm afraid, not wanting to delve to much into the internal politics but some depots are managed better than others. Take from that what you will!
I don't work for the railway so don't mind pointing fingers and saying Penzance depot is very much a law unto itself.

Edsmith

Quite the opposite. I travel regularly on Southeastern metro and mainline services and tickets are checked about half the time on-board mainline. During COVID there were very few checks.
Which is pretty much what I said, although less than half in my experience.

DannyMich2018

I’ve been checked everytime! Travelled the route a few times in the past month. A guard found a young lad with an invalid ticket with no means to buy another. His details were taken
Must be the exception then as I travel weekly with rare ticket checks!

dubscottie

As a RPI in Ireland, I am curious as to how things are done in the UK. Here we are given a section and have the freedom to check as many stations or trains as we wish during a shift. That way we can hit trains that we know people are unlikely to have tickets on at different times of the day. Its successful to a point.

island

Veteran Member
As a RPI in Ireland, I am curious as to how things are done in the UK. Here we are given a section and have the freedom to check as many stations or trains as we wish during a shift. That way we can hit trains that we know people are unlikely to have tickets on at different times of the day. Its successful to a point.
Just sit at the local equivalent of Harmonstown for a week :E

RPI

Established Member
Depends on TOC and area, generally in the West area of GWR we get a free reign to go where we please, but we do have to send a form in each day of what we've done! At Exeter our bread and butter is the Exmouth to Paignton route, we work on trains either alone or in pairs and a couple of times a week we try to organise blocks at some of the smaller stations, we generally go to Exeter Central quite a bit too.

nanstallon

Tickets are seldom checked in the evening on the Falmouth branch. The conductors perhaps assume that either everyone is on the return journey of their day return ticket, or that they would have had to show a ticket to pass the gates at Truro. But Truro is the only gated station in Cornwall, and somebody could have come from St Austell or Redruth.

Class800

Established Member
Depends on TOC and area, generally in the West area of GWR we get a free reign to go where we please, but we do have to send a form in each day of what we've done! At Exeter our bread and butter is the Exmouth to Paignton route, we work on trains either alone or in pairs and a couple of times a week we try to organise blocks at some of the smaller stations, we generally go to Exeter Central quite a bit too.
There's always a guard on the Exmouth to Paignton who has always checked tickets on every time I've been on, so not sure what would be gained by deploying RPI resource there?

LowLevel

Established Member
I used various Great Western local services in the South West over the last few days (Exeter to Barnstaple, Plymouth, Okehampton, Gunnislake etc) and tickets were checked on every train by crew who were bouncing about throughout the journey, very friendly and efficient they were too. Exeter St Davids barriers open in the evenings though.

Class800

Established Member
I used various Great Western local services in the South West over the last few days (Exeter to Barnstaple, Plymouth, Okehampton, Gunnislake etc) and tickets were checked on every train by crew who were bouncing about throughout the journey, very friendly and efficient they were too. Exeter St Davids barriers open in the evenings though.
Must say GWR and SWR south west based guards are from my experience generally very professional, very efficient, do check tickets most journeys, are generally helpful in cases of disruption and are generally fairly sensible and pragmatic - never had an issue getting a rover on the train for example.

RPI

Established Member
There's always a guard on the Exmouth to Paignton who has always checked tickets on every time I've been on, so not sure what would be gained by deploying RPI resource there?
Because a guard can only sell a ticket.....

Particularly on the Exmouth line there are a lot of chancers and just blatant fare evasion and the guards can barely get out of their own coach between stops, Particularly on a Turbo where they can only do the doors either at the very front or the very rear.

Quite a few Exmouth-Paigntons have Ticket Examiners too.

Last edited:

TravelDream

The Cardiff Valleys have a reputation for being a 'pay if challenged' area. One former colleague spoke openly about doing so and walking from Cathays (then unbarriered) to the city centre to avoid paying. He genuinely seemed to think fares were optional.

Fare checks are very much hit or miss.
Morning and afternoons seem the most checks, but after 4pm, checks get a lot rarer. I think it's getting closer to pre-Covid check levels now though.

On the pay when challenged point, to be fair, that was the way people had to pay for many years as most stations had ticket office. Old habits aren't always the easiest to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.