• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not about getting older; but -- I am deliberately as oblivious as possible, to politics and current affairs: probably not an admirable choice, but I find it necessary in the interests of remaining kind-of sane. Up to not very many months ago, I was genuinely unaware of the existence of Liz Truss. Often when her name comes up now, my first thought is -- "Goodness me ! Has 'the punctuation lady' gone into politics, then?"
Quite! Lynne Truss would make a far, far better Prime Minister. She is witty and intelligent, for a start, and though quite annoying, nothing like on the scale of her namesake.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
When you tune into Boom Radio by chance, as I did earlier, and think it's actually not bad.

317 forever

Established Member
When trains have started being withdrawn for scrap that you didn't know had even been built
Like the SWR 701s for example. :lol:

My wife keeps reminding me of an incident which happened a couple of weeks ago in our local park. When walking together I came over all woozy and luckily a nurse was passing. " Do you have vertigo?" she enquired. "No" I replied, "we only live round the corner! ".
I haven't got Vertigo either. It wasn't my favourite U2 single. :lol:

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
You know you are getting older when the prime minister of great britain and northern ireland is younger than you...

whoever wins will mean i pass into being OLD

Busaholic

Veteran Member
When you are behind a German tourist coach and the name 'krautgartener' reminds you of the disrespectful name you used to give to Germans in the primary school playground.

duncanp

Established Member
You know you are getting older when the prime minister of great britain and northern ireland is younger than you...

That ship sailed for me when David Cameron was first elected.

Although Theresa May is older than me, so I had three years of not being quite so much of a coffin dodger. :D:D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not about getting older; but -- I am deliberately as oblivious as possible, to politics and current affairs: probably not an admirable choice, but I find it necessary in the interests of remaining kind-of sane. Up to not very many months ago.

You're probably wise to remain so !

route101

Established Member
Not sure if its because I'm getting older but I have noticed how young guys all have the same style of hair and clothes. I describe it as urban look, grey or black casual clothing with some sort of small man bag across the torso. As for the hair its a skin fade with a crop top. A few years ago and more it was more an indie look.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Provoked by a video of a younger and more liberal Truss, aged about 19, on the Tory candidates thread:

You know you're getting old when many of your contemporaries express right-wing, conservative views that they wouldn't have been seen dead uttering when they were in their teens or twenties.
You really know you're getting old when you find yourself agreeing with them!

Killingworth

Established Member
You know that old age is catching up on you when you cannot find items strong enough to cut your toenails and having to add a visit to/from a podiatrist to your "things to look forward to" list....:oops:

You must be getting old when you wonder when a chiropodist became a podiatrist - and muse how lucky you must be to still be able to see and reach the toes!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You must be getting old when you wonder when a chiropodist became a podiatrist - and muse how lucky you must be to still be able to see and reach the toes!
The NHS clinic that I use offers chiropody treatment to those being treated in the podiatry section. Have your toenails cut for you after having your feet examined for corns and callouses. Maybe I am lucky in that respect.

nw1

Established Member

This has come up before, and sadly it's the case for me too :(

Of course something strange might happen, both might pull out, and Johnson might carry on until the next election.

If Starmer wins in a year or two, it will be a temporary state of affairs though, as he's older than Johnson.

Just going back over a few recent PMs:

Harold Wilson, born 1916, PM initially in 1964 (48)
Edward Heath, born 1916, PM in 1970 (53)
James Callaghan, born 1912, PM in 1976 (64)
Margaret Thatcher, born 1925, PM in 1979 (53)
John Major, born 1943, PM in 1990 (47)

So, someone born in 1917 would not have had a PM younger than them until they were 61 or 62. And someone born in 1926 would not have had a PM younger than them until they were 64. Lucky them... ;)

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
This has come up before, and sadly it's the case for me too :(

Of course something strange might happen, both might pull out, and Johnson might carry on until the next election.

If Starmer wins in a year or two, it will be a temporary state of affairs though, as he's older than Johnson.

Just going back over a few recent PMs:

Harold Wilson, born 1916, PM initially in 1964 (48)
Edward Heath, born 1916, PM in 1970 (53)
James Callaghan, born 1912, PM in 1976 (64)
Margaret Thatcher, born 1925, PM in 1979 (53)
John Major, born 1943, PM in 1990 (47)

So, someone born in 1917 would not have had a PM younger than them until they were 61 or 62. And someone born in 1926 would not have had a PM younger than them until they were 64. Lucky them... ;)

On the other hand, with John Major only 79 it could be some years before many of us find ourselves older than our oldest former PM. Joe Biden is 80 in November!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The NHS clinic that I use offers chiropody treatment to those being treated in the podiatry section. Have your toenails cut for you after having your feet examined for corns and callouses. Maybe I am lucky in that respect.
You are. I've been on a 'list' to receive physiotherapy since being diagnosed with MS three years ago, but I've been told the only circumstances in which it will be provided is if I'm in hospital and they want to turf me out for 'bed blocking'. As for chiropody/podiatry on the NHS..... I'm fortunate to have a private podiatrist a couple of hundred yards or so away, and she hasn't raised her (reasonable) charges in those three years, although there was a time during covid lockdowns when she couldn't operate.

When you’re old enough to lave seen Judith Durham of the Seekers live on stage.
RIP Judith Durham.

Killingworth

Established Member
And now young Olivia Newton-John. Here in Australia in 1971, finally introduces Judith Durham;

If not for you
Babe, I couldn’t find the door
Couldn’t even see the floor
I’d be sad and blue
If not for you

Gloster

Established Member
How wholesome they all all were in those days! And then we got punk (and Sandy got a figure-hugging outfit).

D6130

Established Member
I shed a tear or two tonight. Olivia was a huge influence on my teenaged self and I had a large black & white poster of her in her wholesome days - with long straight hair and wearing a roll-neck pullover - on my bedroom wall. An incredibly talented singer and dancer and a lovely person by all accounts. RIP :(

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And now young Olivia Newton-John. Here in Australia in 1971, finally introduces Judith Durham;

If not for you
Babe, I couldn’t find the door
Couldn’t even see the floor
I’d be sad and blue
If not for you
I'd quite forgotten that she was on the never-ending list of people who'd 'covered' Bob Dylan songs in an attempt to court popularity. Not sure she succeeded there, but she certainly made the big time with 'Grease'.

nw1

Established Member
When people you remember being born turn 40.

A famous example in my case would be Prince William.

duncanp

Established Member
When someone famous that you know dies, and young people ask who he or she was.

Eg. Bernard Cribbins

Typhoon

Established Member
When a young person tells you someone (presumably famous) has died and you don't have a clue who they were.

No examples, I forget them but they will be rappers or on Love Island or have a Tik Tok channel (or some combination).

My father used to rile against most of the groups and solo artists I liked while my grandmother might nod but never said a thing, I have adopted her approach for a quiet life.

Killingworth

Established Member
I'd quite forgotten that she was on the never-ending list of people who'd 'covered' Bob Dylan songs in an attempt to court popularity. Not sure she succeeded there, but she certainly made the big time with 'Grease'.

I must indeed be growing old for Olivia certainly succeeded as far as I was concerned, far better looking than the others, and came well before Grease.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
When someone famous that you know dies, and young people ask who he or she was.

Eg. Bernard Cribbins

A young person may be aware of him from Doctor Who or Old Jack's Boat (CBeebies) depending on their age/interests.

Howardh

Established Member
Saturday night 10 years ago - best frock on, get out there, drink the night away.

Saturday night now...defrosting the fridge. Go out tomorrow when it's quieter....