• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Will 221101 become silver or just stay white on the intermediate carriages, I wonder.

The silver isn't out of choice, it's because it's what is there underneath the vinyls. I'd be frankly amazed if they re-repaint 101 to silver, I would think it'll just get the vinyls slapped on over the white

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
The silver isn't out of choice, it's because it's what is there underneath the vinyls. I'd be frankly amazed if they re-repaint 101 to silver, I would think it'll just get the vinyls slapped on over the white
I thought so, but then again 221101 will look more accurate than the rest as Pendolinos have white bodies with vinyls over.

najaB

Veteran Member
They're putting in a lot of money and effort into the super voyagers when they're giving them up next year, could this be a sign the expected launch of the 805/807 fleet will be delayed?
It could be a matter of hedging their bets in case there are delays, or simply that the units were due a repaint regardless of their limited future. Are they owned or leased?

greatvoyager

Established Member
It could be a matter of hedging their bets in case there are delays, or simply that the units were due a repaint regardless of their limited future. Are they owned or leased?
Leased from Beacon Rail, like XC units are.

najaB

Veteran Member
Leased from Beacon Rail, like XC units are.
Then (just speculating) it could be a lease condition that they are repainted/have new vinyl applied every x years/miles. Weren't LNER repainting some of the HST/225 sets even while they were in middle of retiring the fleet?

Domh245

Established Member
Then (just speculating) it could be a lease condition that they are repainted/have new vinyl applied every x years/miles. Weren't LNER repainting some of the HST/225 sets even while they were in middle of retiring the fleet?

I'd be amazed if ROSCOs demanded revinyling given it's a purely decorative thing (and if anything tends to cause headaches by trapping moisture)! I think that this is just Avanti (finally) trying to put their mark on everything rather than running things around in their predecessors livery still - the fact that only the cab ends, doors and roof edges are changing makes it fairly clear it's a "minimal effort" branding job than anything functional

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Talking of Voyagers, just seen some images that show a Voyager partially derailed in a depot, still wearing VT silver.

(But I think that's a topic for another thread)

I'm glad Avanti are vinyling the Voyagers, means they can get rid of the Virgin livery which looks horrifically worn.

HarryL

Didn't they paint the voyagers white at the same time as they did the interiors, how many silver ones are left?

They're putting in a lot of money and effort into the super voyagers when they're giving them up next year, could this be a sign the expected launch of the 805/807 fleet will be delayed?
Not sure it means they're expected a delay, vinyl isn't too expensive and the interior works were done to refresh them and make them more appealing to sell once they've gone.

g_m_h_redwood

Didn't they paint the voyagers white at the same time as they did the interiors, how many silver ones are left?

Not sure it means they're expected a delay, vinyl isn't too expensive and the interior works were done to refresh them and make them more appealing to sell once they've gone.
101 is the only white voyager, the rest are still in silver.

As for the interiors, they did waste a fair amount of money considering they weren't in need of a refurbishment (unless stipulated by Beacon) and they will only serve Avanti for another 2 years (just less than but near enough)

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd be amazed if ROSCOs demanded revinyling given it's a purely decorative thing (and if anything tends to cause headaches by trapping moisture)!
Again, just speculating, but that could be part of the reason for requiring the TOC to remove and reapply vinyls - to check for corrosion.

Domh245

Established Member
Again, just speculating, but that could be part of the reason for requiring the TOC to remove and reapply vinyls - to check for corrosion.

Possibly although I think the voyagers currently run around without any vinyls on (barring 'functional' ones like the first class markings) - where the front end white swoop was on the virgin livery is gone just leaving a pointy red bit that looks like it would have been painted on, so I'm not convinced that they're removing anything to check for corrosion - just slapping these on top!

221101 Voyager

Established Member
This is the full livery, intermediate carriages staying silver.

Has anyone noticed this from the article above.
"Alongside the Voyager news, Phase 1 of the Pendolino delivery was completed, with 51 of 56 sets now having the Avanti West Coast branding on their driver-vehicles.

The remaining five Pendolinos are 390155 and 390156, which were placed into the new vinyls when Avanti West Coast was launched.

Phase 2 of the work is taking place at Edge Hill depot and will see the full livery applied. The first set to have phase 2 work completed, alongside its K exam, is 390123 and will be back in service this weekend."

g_m_h_redwood

Yes, you’d have thought all the other Voyagers must be overdue a repaint anyway given the younger 390 fleet has been done for a while now
That's what I was thinking. The pendolinos are newer but had their paint completely stripped and reapplied. The voyagers haven't even been repainted, they're just getting vinyls applied. Doesn't make much sense to me. I can understand that Avanti don't want to spend that much money when they are replacing them, but then why bother doing anything at all.

Energy

Established Member
but then why bother doing anything at all.
It is a compromise between price and looking good, best price would be nothing and looking good would be full paint and refurb, the compromise got a vinyl and light refresh at a reasonable price.

g_m_h_redwood

I believe that is 221116 at Polmadie depot
Yeah it's 116 and 143, unsure which one was the one photographed

It is a compromise between price and looking good, best price would be nothing and looking good would be full paint and refurb, the compromise got a vinyl and light refresh at a reasonable price.
I guess, but if it was me I would keep them as they are and avoid wasting money. I'm sure most passengers don't care what the trains look like and just want to get to their destination. As for enthusiasts, it may please some but personally I'd rather have the remnants of VT

fgwrich

Established Member

Indeed, just as XC did 14 years ago. Albeit XC's are permanent whereas Avanti's are temporary and effectively just to smarten them up.

Carlisle

Established Member
That's what I was thinking. The pendolinos are newer but had their paint completely stripped and reapplied. The voyagers haven't even been repainted,
Maybe it’s down to the Pendolinos almost guaranteed usage for the next 10-20 years whereas voyagers long term future is currently far less certain

Last edited:

Doomotron

I quite like this temporary livery, possibly more so than the 'full' livery. It's nice to have a livery that isn't white nowadays.

Peter0124

Established Member
I believe this might be 221115, taken from Railcam Watford this morning working 1B05 07:30 BHM-EUS.

It retains its greyish virgin livery but with black doors and blue coach ends, also new first class symbols.

Attachments

• Screenshot_599.png
    Screenshot_599.png
    3 MB · Views: 237

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ooh, that looks good. Works better with the silver than with white or that odd off-white green colour. Also looks better with big windows (which obviously you can't retrofit to a Pendolino, but you could use a wider window band).

Also looks better with that A-and-triangle symbol omitted from each coach.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I believe this might be 221115, taken from Railcam Watford this morning working 1B05 07:30 BHM-EUS.

It retains its greyish virgin livery but with black doors and blue coach ends, also new first class symbols.
Yep that's right Virgin Trains Silver, with the stripy colour off the doors to have the same dark grey colour as most pendolinos do. It looks very smart indeed. Look forward to seeing more of them. It's about time the voyager fleet had a bit of work done. At least the inside and outside of them all will end up having a nice well earned refresh. :)

Also, 390123 the next full livery unit, is meant to be out this weekend apparantly.

Fokx

The purpose is to remove all existence of the identity of Virgin Trains, which after over twenty years of operation is understandably passengers still believe Avanti is.
You can peel off the logo, but the red/blue interiors, red and silver exteriors, onboard shop and talking toilets are what passengers automatically associate with Virgin.

Avanti will rightly be wanting to distance themselves from the brand (and potentially Virgin group from Avanti)

Peter0124

Established Member
Yep that's right Virgin Trains Silver, with the stripy colour off the doors to have the same dark grey colour as most pendolinos do. It looks very smart indeed. Look forward to seeing more of them. It's about time the voyager fleet had a bit of work done. At least the inside and outside of them all will end up having a nice well earned refresh. :)

Also, 390123 the next full livery unit, is meant to be out this weekend apparantly.
Believe 390123 might be on 1A07 or 1A12 from Liverpool Lime St today, one of the two with 390155 on the other. If anyone can let us know which one it's on I will appreciate that.

greatvoyager

Established Member

It does look smart.

Does anyone know what is going on with the Pendo refurbishment (internal)? I think it’s over schedule.
It's crickets isn't it, something might be going on behind the scenes regarding the spec, we should have seen an illustration at least by now if the last mentioned start date of Spring was to be met.

Status
Not open for further replies.