• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railperf

Established Member
My expectations of Swiss engineering have changed somewhat :lol: :lol:
I hope no-one received a bad shock! Haven't the faults mainly been on non-swiss design features and where UK specific infrastructure equipment has had to be installed. USB plugs are universal across Europe, but our 3-pin plug system and earthing isn't the same as in use in Europe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
I hope no-one received a bad shock! Haven't the faults mainly been on non-swiss design features and where UK specific infrastructure equipment has had to be installed. USB plugs are universal across Europe, but our 3-pin plug system and earthing isn't the same as in use in Europe.
Are USBs and plug sockets on the same circuit? I would imagine having a transformer for each 230v to 5v would be less efficient than one transformer and extra wires

supervc-10

Our plug sockets are different, but we still have a live, neutral, and earth, just like Europe. Some older European sockets don't have the earth pin, but the majority of newer installations do. Otherwise it's the same 230v 50Hz.

Regarding the USBs- I've not seen the systems in the FLIRTS, but if the USBs are on the same faceplate as the 3-pins, I wouldn't be surprised if they're standard units with the 5v adaptor in each plug.

Railperf

Established Member
Looks like a ROG class 37 attached to a 745/1 at Temple Mills (Orient Way) this morning. Another failed unit?

rdlover777

in regard to 745/0s being used on Stanstead and 745/1s being used on Norwich-London services, why didn't GA just order 20 745/0s instead of the 10 /0s and 10 /1s?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
in regard to 745/0s being used on Stanstead and 745/1s being used on Norwich-London services, why didn't GA just order 20 745/0s instead of the 10 /0s and 10 /1s?
The question all of us have wondered many times. Would have made much more sense.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Been asked many times. And many suggest that more than 20 are needed anyway !.

Boils down to the theory that Anglia ordered the minimum number of straight electric "Flirt" units (745s) from Stadler to tempt Stadler to also bid for the Bi mode version of a "Flirt" (755s). Then everything else electric is the cheaper 720s.

Energy

Established Member
Been asked many times. And many suggest that more than 20 are needed anyway !.

Boils down to the theory that Anglia ordered the minimum number of straight electric "Flirt" units (745s) from Stadler to tempt Stadler to also bid for the Bi mode version of a "Flirt" (755s). Then everything else electric is the cheaper 720s.
I think his question was why did they go for 2 small fleets of 745s instead of 1 fleet of /0s.

dk1

Veteran Member
I think his question was why did they go for 2 small fleets of 745s instead of 1 fleet of /0s.
Basically the cost of installing the buffet counter & I would imagine the fact that 1st class was being withdrawn on all but IC services.

Energy

Established Member
Sorry. My reply was not clear. I was just (over) highlighting the other conundrum as well.
Yeah, I think a subfleet would be neccessary, high density 3+2 isn't really suitable on either the intercity route or airport.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Basically the cost of installing the buffet counter & I would imagine the fact that 1st class was being withdrawn on all but IC services.
And I left that out in my rush :oops:.

Yeah, I think a subfleet would be neccessary, high density 3+2 isn't really suitable on either the intercity route or airport.
Your right the 720s are bound to end up on both Airport and Norwich services. That is unless the plan is that multiple 755s get used ?.

But they would have been better just having 1st class and the buffet on the Airport service, just for a common type of train, they didn't have to use the buffet, but could still have marketed 1st class, but of course the bid was obsessed with seat count, which may be less valid post covid.

Last edited:

Astro_Orbiter

They decided to accept the cost of having tables on the 755 fleet but apparently the cost of having them on 745/1 was too much?
GA want to make the "intercity" and "Rural" special and leave the commuter intensive GE and WA as pure people moving machines. Missed a trick in my opinion as so many have said, but is what it is at this stage.

southern442

Established Member
Your right the 720s are bound to end up on both Airport and Norwich services. That is unless the plan is that multiple 755s get used ?.
There were discussions a while back about getting 755s to run in multiple to bring back London-Lowestoft etc?

dk1

Veteran Member
There were discussions a while back about getting 755s to run in multiple to bring back London-Lowestoft etc?
That's all been kicked into the long grass I'm afraid. Multiple working will happen eventually but no through workings are now planned onto the East Suffolk.

chubs

But they would have been better just having 1st class and the buffet on the Airport service, just for a common type of train, they didn't have to use the buffet, but could still have marketed 1st class, but of course the bid was obsessed with seat count, which may be less valid post covid.

Would they? Presumably a lot of research and discussion went into this decision, rather than "lol StanEx doesn't been 1st or a buffet"

Astro_Orbiter

Would they? Presumably a lot of research and discussion went into this decision, rather than "lol StanEx doesn't been 1st or a buffet"
I think the argument is more along the lines of "stance doesn't need a buffet but will we be able to reliably diagram the units to their respective services?" They seemed to think yes but reality is showing no. So the argument being why not make them all uniform so as not to deprive IC of their tables and buffet.

Dave1987

On Moderation
I think it is fair to say that the railway as a whole is going to need to change its stance on passenger comfort going forwards. It was noted that Northern went for the cheapest seats possible despite them being disliked by opinion surveys. To encourage people back to the railway's post Covid lots of decisions made about fleets may be reviewed.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The 745/1s not having tables and the 720s not having bins all goes back to the ludicrous descision making of the bid team who specified these units - Northern was even worse than GA for ignoring their own survey results. No buffet is just about acceptable since a trolley can substutute but it needs tables and should have first really. Airport passengers could have been offered cheap upgrades onboard, or the section could have been declassified on StanEx runs. The bid team had no clue about railways. Enthusiasts may either not but at least they travel on the railways unlike some of the people in suits that specified them.

Last edited:

chubs

Sorry but declassified 1st on StanEx is ludicrous. The buffet and 1st is not needed on StanEx, so it wasn't provided - a very sensible position rather than running around with them out of use which would be hilarious and stupid. Upgrades to 1st on a 30 min service form an airport that predominately serves budget airlines, again ludicrous. GA would have run the models and numbers, they weren't needed.

Frustrating from a diagramming point of view for sure, but the sensible decision in the long run. We'll see how things settle down post covid and once all the issues are resolved with the 745's. Hopefully they stick to their intended lines with just the odd StanEx unit coming to Norwich as part of the maintenance cycle as planned. The third train an hour can be forgotten for now, as can any silly direct extensions to Lowestoft or other tiny coastal towns which are easily achieved with a change at Norwich.

dk1

Veteran Member
Sorry but declassified 1st on StanEx is ludicrous. The buffet and 1st is not needed on StanEx, so it wasn't provided - a very sensible position rather than running around with them out of use which would be hilarious and stupid. Upgrades to 1st on a 30 min service form an airport that predominately serves budget airlines, again ludicrous. GA would have run the models and numbers, they weren't needed.

Frustrating from a diagramming point of view for sure, but the sensible decision in the long run. We'll see how things settle down post covid and once all the issues are resolved with the 745's. Hopefully they stick to their intended lines with just the odd StanEx unit coming to Norwich as part of the maintenance cycle as planned. The third train an hour can be forgotten for now, as can any silly direct extensions to Lowestoft or other tiny coastal towns which are easily achieved with a change at Norwich.
Without being picky, the connection is at Ipswich & although the final destination is Lowestoft, the intermediate stations particularly Woodbridge-Darsham are the target stations for through passengers rather than Lowestoft itself.

ashkeba

Established Member
Upgrades to 1st on a 30 min service form an airport that predominately serves budget airlines, again ludicrous.
It is closer to 60min and Heathrow Express used to sell first on a 20min service.

trebor79

Established Member
Took a 745/0 fron Norwich to Stowmarket on Friday. Certainly noticed the sprightly acceleration, could easily tell where the speed limits changed, whereas on the 90-hauled it wasn't obvious at all. I've only previously caught a 745 out of Liverpool Street which is a bit more of a sedentary run in any case.

I know from posts here that the sockets are currently out of use, but I did have a sit in First Class prior to departing Norwich (wanted to see if it would be worth paying for in future - I think so), and noticed the sockets appeared to be working in there. 755 sockets also weren't working so is it a problem with the specific design of socket fitted to the standard class seats?

Railperf

Established Member
Took a 745/0 fron Norwich to Stowmarket on Friday. Certainly noticed the sprightly acceleration, could easily tell where the speed limits changed, whereas on the 90-hauled it wasn't obvious at all. I've only previously caught a 745 out of Liverpool Street which is a bit more of a sedentary run in any case.

I know from posts here that the sockets are currently out of use, but I did have a sit in First Class prior to departing Norwich (wanted to see if it would be worth paying for in future - I think so), and noticed the sockets appeared to be working in there. 755 sockets also weren't working so is it a problem with the specific design of socket fitted to the standard class seats?
Yes there is a fault with the sockets.

trebor79

Established Member
Just thought it was strange the sockets in first class appeared to be functioning, only standard class sockets out of use?

dk1

Veteran Member
Just thought it was strange the sockets in first class appeared to be functioning, only standard class sockets out of use?
That may be a mistake Stadler have made in overlooking isolating them in that coach. All sockets on all 745/755 units should be out of use regardless of class of travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.