• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
4th 50-over ODI match

India 404-5

Ro Sharma scored 264 from 193 balls, scoring 9 x 6 and 33 x 4

Sri Lanks 251 all out

Ro Sharma's innings must have been one to watch...:shock:

Apparently he only really got going after he'd reached 100. It was one ball short of being the most number of balls faced by an Indian batsman in a ODI, which is still held by Sunil Gavaskar, who made a princely 36 not out in the World Cup at Lords. He had an 'agenda' that day!

I was privileged to be present at Tunbridge Wells when Kapil Dev made his 175 or 176 not out in the World Cup, easily a one-day record at the time, and the most powerful innings I've ever personally witnessed. I still have the scorecard somewhere, but I do know his score was amended by one run sometime after the innings.

Cletus

Established Member
Can you ever imagine England scoring 404 in an ODI? We often have trouble scoring 251 :lol:

Started to watch the Australia v South Africa game this morning before I realised that I should be going to work!

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England making 404 in a ODI, don't make me laugh!!!!

Could be done if we had the full 24 hours available and Trotty at one end to keep his wicket intact. Trott and Tavare (Chris) would be the best men for the job in fact - could Chris be persuaded out of retirement?:lol:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Almost made it

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/england/engine/match/211579.html

Notice the 2 failures, Michael 'biggest ego in the world since retiring' Vaughan and Andy 'I was a cricketer once' Flintoff

Ah, those were the days, Bangladesh were number 1 rated side in ODIs, Tony Blair was honest and Class 67s were hauling coal trains, perfection

;)

Interesting that Andrew Strauss scored 152 in that game, probably wouldn't be considered by many - like Cook -as a one day player.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England have chosen Moeen Ali to partner Cook in opening the England innings in their warm-up match against Sri Lanka "A".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
****************************************************************************************************

Well, that seemed to be a good choice as Moeen Ali hit a 21-ball 50 then had bowling figures of 9-0-29-3 in the D/L win in that match.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is reported that the Australian captain, Michael Clarke, has been named in the team squad for the first Test Match against India, but with the proviso that he proves his fitness.

DownSouth

Established Member
Phil Hughes was hit on the unprotected lower rear side of the head by a bouncer while playing for South Australia on day one of a Sheffield Shield match at the SCG this afternoon and is now fighting for his life. He was not knocked out immediately but collapsed soon afterwards, was resuscitated by the NSW team doctor, intubated at the scene by paramedics and is now in a coma and has had surgery to relieve pressure on the brain.

As you would expect in such a civilised sport, the match has been abandoned. Thoughts would have to be also with Sean Abbott, the young bowler who must be absolutely distraught to have had that result from his bowling.

I was at Glenelg Oval (the secondary ground in Adelaide, and home of the intimidatingly named Glenelg Seahorses grade cricket club) watching the first CA XI vs India tour match today (on my first day off after a long period of focusing on finishing my studies) with a quite healthy crowd, when it was announced a eery silence came around the ground.

It is reported that the Australian captain, Michael Clarke, has been named in the team squad for the first Test Match against India, but with the proviso that he proves his fitness.
This is becoming a bit of a story in itself now, with Clarke and CA in disagreement over whether he comes back to cricket via the second CA XI vs India tour match (what CA are demanding) in Adelaide or with his A Grade club in Sydney.

The A Grade match in Sydney will probably be a better chance for him to get some time in the middle and runs on the board, as India seem to be focusing their tour matches on getting their batsmen time in the middle to acclimatise to the red Kookaburra ball even if it is only on flat Adelaide pitches which are nothing like the Gabbatoir.

The other issue with the A Grade match is that it is being investigated by Cricket NSW for this bizarre sequence of events:
  • Western Suburbs names Clarke in the team hoping he would be able to play on the second Saturday of the two-day match.
  • Parramatta win the toss and choose to bowl on the first day while Western Suburbs are without Clarke.
  • Western Suburbs declare at 0/17
  • Parramatta also declare their innings very early at 2/140 to get in some more bowling to a Clarke-free team.
  • Western Suburbs bat out the rest of the first day at 1/230 with Clarke presumably to come in at next drop on the second day if he's fit and available.

I thought than an update would be of use in this sorry affair in which the West Indies cut short their tour, leaving three Test Matches and two ODI unplayed.

It now transpires that the BCCI have formally written to the WICB to state that they will now take the matter to law and the total of their claim will be $41.97 million.
I've been offline for a few weeks while finishing my masters assignments, so this (thanks for the private message) is the first update I've seen of this in a while.

$42M is roughly two thirds of the initially expected demand of $65M. Sounds about right considering that they were able to get Sri Lanka to play five ODIs to substitute for about a quarter of the lost playing days, and that most of the playing days lost were in Tests which get lower TV revenues due to not being in prime time. There's no chance the BCCI will actually get that sort of money, of course.

Things seem to be firming up to see the West Indies still make it to the World Cup next year, so long as their upcoming tour of South Africa goes smoothly. Their women's team just toured Australia to play T20 double-headers with the Australia v South Africa men's series and then four ODIs to count for points towards the 2014-2017 Women's ODI World Championship - they didn't have any contractual issues but they didn't produce any real performance either, losing both series with whitewashes.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I hope Phil Hughes makes a full recovery from his injuries.

Even though I'm no fan of the Australians, I don't have any ill feelings towards Phil.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I hope Phil Hughes makes a full recovery from his injuries.

Even though I'm no fan of the Australians, I don't have any ill feelings towards Phil.

Absolutely! Felt sickened when I heard the news this morning. Best wishes to Phil Hughes for a speedy and full recovery and to the other players in the SA/NSW game.

DownSouth

Established Member
The decision was made this morning to abandon the other matches of the Sheffield Shield as well as the SA v NSW match.

I understand that Ajmal Shehzad (the Pakistan wicketkeeper) also took a blow on the unprotected back of the head last week - from memory it was without injury. I wonder if there are some lessons to be learned about helmet design?
England have chosen Moeen Ali to partner Cook in opening the England innings in their warm-up match against Sri Lanka "A".
****************************************************************************************************

Well, that seemed to be a good choice as Moeen Ali hit a 21-ball 50 then had bowling figures of 9-0-29-3 in the D/L win in that match.
And other good one for him in the first of the ODI matches with 119 off 87, albeit after a lucky reprieve on 7 when he played onto the stumps without dislodging the bails.

He must have been livid at the lack of support (Cook, Root, Morgan, Buttler and Stokes got 50 between them) which meant the team didn't finish off the job he started. If one of the openers gets a century at a strike rate well over 100, a top-flight ODI team should be able to chase a target of 318 - it's well worth noting that Sri Lanka didn't need a century to set that target, just three fifties and some solid support.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Very sad to hear that Philip Hughes has passed away in Hospital at the young age of 25, my thoughts go out to his family, friends and teammates.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Very sad to hear that Philip Hughes has passed away in Hospital at the young age of 25, my thoughts go out to his family, friends and teammates.

Absolutely awful news....and what must Sean Abbott feel? Can't imagine. The world of cricket won't be the same again for some time. Thoughts with all in Australia affected by this tradegy

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've been aware of the lethal potential of being struck by a cricket ball since I was a teenager and, at my school, the head boy batting in the nets was struck between the eyes by the ball and was killed instantly. That was in the early evening and the shock of coming to school the next day and hearing of his death was profound. This was before the age of the helmet, which, in his case, would have saved him.

The only case of a player being seriously injured in first class cricket that I can remember was when Roger Davis (?) was fielding at short leg for Glamorgan in the 1970s and got struck in the same place as the schoolboy but survived and, I believe, made a full recovery.

There was a good piece on page 3 of yesterday's 'Times' explaining that a safer helmet which almost certainly would have saved poor Philip Hughes was recommended in a research paper by the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Cardiff School of Sport last year but only some of its recommendations about design changes were introduced and, crucially, those which would have given protection to the back of the head were not. The reasons for the latter not being introduced were the restriction on freedom of movement of the batsman's head and, frankly, aesthetic considerations, but obviously this will all be revisited now.

It is a great shame that English spectators never saw the best of Phil's batting except those fortunate enough to have seen him batting in county cricket, especially those few innings for Middlesex when he toyed with the bowling, apparently.

R.I.P.

Cletus

Established Member
Are there helmets that could have protected Hughes though? (without being like armour)

B3cc7laCUAA1H8O.png

Edit: Here's a full BBC article I'll need to read
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30206381

Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes has died after being hit on the head by a cricket ball. Can helmets ever offer total protection?

Cricket is often caricatured as a slow game, with action limited to a few seconds at a time. But top-level batsmen have to stand in front of a hard ball, which weighs between 155.9g and 163g (5.5 and 5.75 ounces), delivered at speeds sometimes in excess of 90 miles (145km) per hour.

Hughes died only two days after being placed in an induced coma in a Sydney hospital. This follows surgery he underwent after being struck on the left-hand side of the back of his head. This area was apparently unprotected at it was beneath the bottom of his helmet.

Safety design has improved in cricket - where helmets only became standard relatively recently - and other sports. But could this go further without making equipment too cumbersome to use?

"We believe there's more that can be done," says Rene Ferdinands, head of cricket biomechanics research at the University of Sydney. "It is possible to offer protection that extends beyond the area covered by the helmet."

One idea suggested by Ferdinands is to wear a skull cap, made of composite foam or other substance, reaching beyond the area at the base of the helmet. A study suggests such materials can absorb between 50% and 70% of the impact of a baseball, he adds, saying it would not impede mobility.

Masuri, the UK company which manufactured Hughes's helmet, says he was not wearing the latest model, which offers "extra protection" in the area where he was hit, while still allowing "comfortable movement". It is seeking more video evidence to determine the exact point of impact.

"This is a vulnerable area of the head and neck that helmets cannot fully protect," the company says, "while enabling batsmen to have full and proper movement."

Cricket is one of many sports where helmets are used. In ice hockey, they became compulsory in Sweden in 1963 following a succession of injuries, with other countries doing the same later, including the US from 1979. Face protectors were added in the 1970s and throat protectors in the 1980s.

Helmets are standard in American football, equine events, competitive skiing and many other pastimes involving high speeds or violent bodily contact.

But the International Amateur Boxing Association banned headgear for men's international bouts last year, putting it in line with the professional version of the sport. It said there was evidence to show this could actually cut the number of concussions because it reduced risky behaviour by competitors.

Cricket has gone the opposite way. "When I first started we didn't have helmets on," said former England captain Mike Gatting, who had his nose broken by a short-pitched delivery from West Indies fast bowler Malcolm Marshall in 1986. "Sadly for Phil, it must have hit one of the very few spots that has done some damage, some severe damage, and it really is just so tragic."

In a study published last year, researchers at Loughborough and Cardiff Metropolitan universities analysed 35 videos of first-class cricketers being injured despite wearing helmets.

Most involved being hit on the faceguard or peak, or when the ball got through the gap between them. These mostly caused cuts, fractures and contusions.

But six (17%) of the injuries resulted from the ball hitting the back of the helmet's shell and two (6%) the unprotected neck or occiput (lower left- or right-side region of the back of the skull). The study said impacts in these areas were more likely to result in concussions. This seemed to corroborate findings from US studies into baseball impacts on batters' heads.

Prevention might be improved by "extending the shell of the helmet to cover the entire occipital region", the study recommended.

"We should design helmets as strong as technology allows," says Antonio Belli, professor of trauma neurosurgery at Birmingham University. "But we need to accept that in cricket and other sports that involve hard objects or bodily contact there will always be freak accidents. I would put what happened to Philip Hughes into that category.

"For the number of hours played in cricket, it's actually considered a safe sport in terms of concussion."

But head injury has long been a concern. In the so-called "Bodyline" England v Australia series of 1932, Australia's Bert Oldfield's skull was fractured by a bouncer. This and other incidents prompted an outcry against the use of short-pitched bowling aimed at the body.

The following summer Middlesex and England batsman Patsy Hendren, playing against the West Indies at Lord's, wore a protective cap created by his wife. Resembling a deerstalker hat, it had three peaks, two of which covered the ears and temples on either side of the head and were lined with sponge rubber.

But the use of real cricket helmets has largely evolved over the last 40 years or so.

India's Sunil Gavaskar created his own skull protector. However, he decided not to wear a helmet. "I had a habit of reading before I slept and on most occasions slept while reading," said Gavaskar in 2009. "My neck muscles got weakened due to this and I feared that my reflexes would slow down while facing a bouncer (if I wore a helmet)."

Helmets "spread like mushrooms after rain" in the late 1970s, according to cricket historian Gideon Haigh, after Australia's David Hookes had his jaw broken by West Indian fast bowler Andy Roberts.

Australian left-hander Graham Yallop was booed when he became the first player to wear a full helmet - an improvised motorcycle helmet, including a plastic visor - in a Test match, in Barbados in 1978. England's Dennis Amiss wore similarly shaped equipment, complete with grille, in World Series Cricket in the same era.

These days top-level players usually wear a helmet when facing fast or medium-pace bowlers. In the UK it is compulsory for cricketers under 18 to use one when batting, whatever the speed of bowling.

Modern helmets are designed to absorb the ball's energy by becoming deformed, or dented, on impact. They contain foam injected in to the cavity between the inner and outer shells to help this.

England all-rounder Stuart Broad edged a ball through the gap between the grille and peak of his helmet in a Test match against India earlier this year, injuring his nose.

Ferdinands says this is another area that is being investigated, although there is still a need for batsmen to maintain as much visibility as possibility. "Helmet design is certainly a lot better than it was," he says. "The designers have done a really good job. But this is all a process of evolution. We have to take the next step."

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
I've been aware of the lethal potential of being struck by a cricket ball since I was a teenager and, at my school, the head boy batting in the nets was struck between the eyes by the ball and was killed instantly. That was in the early evening and the shock of coming to school the next day and hearing of his death was profound. This was before the age of the helmet, which, in his case, would have saved him.

The only case of a player being seriously injured in first class cricket that I can remember was when Roger Davis (?) was fielding at short leg for Glamorgan in the 1970s and got struck in the same place as the schoolboy but survived and, I believe, made a full recovery.

There was a good piece on page 3 of yesterday's 'Times' explaining that a safer helmet which almost certainly would have saved poor Philip Hughes was recommended in a research paper by the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Cardiff School of Sport last year but only some of its recommendations about design changes were introduced and, crucially, those which would have given protection to the back of the head were not. The reasons for the latter not being introduced were the restriction on freedom of movement of the batsman's head and, frankly, aesthetic considerations, but obviously this will all be revisited now.

It is a great shame that English spectators never saw the best of Phil's batting except those fortunate enough to have seen him batting in county cricket, especially those few innings for Middlesex when he toyed with the bowling, apparently.

R.I.P.

I remember a boy at my school being hit by a cricket ball and knocked out cold although thankfully he did make a full recovery, it was quite a shocking experience

Gotta feel for bowler Sean Abbot who must be in bits at the moment. It appears to have been just a million to one freak accident.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Although it's a very sad day for Cricket, I still wonder why there weren't more injuries before the introduction of helmets?

I can just about remember Ian Botham having several teeth knocked out after being hit by a bouncer.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Although it's a very sad day for Cricket, I still wonder why there weren't more injuries before the introduction of helmets?

I can just about remember Ian Botham having several teeth knocked out after being hit by a bouncer.

Players have got a false sense of security, they think wearing a helmet offers them full protection so tend to whack at balls they shouldn't.

They have become reckless thinking they are impregnable, unfortunately they have lost the skill of knowing when to duck or leave a ball.

Nowhere near as many players were hit on head that are now hit on the helmet, that says it all.

Phirstman

Very sad news, I was in shock this morning.

Every time I see 1988-2014 (Aged 25), it really hits hard - that is so young.

RIP :(

RichmondCommu

Established Member
RIP Philip Hughes. Desperately sad news, especially given his age. From what I can gather almost immediately medical staff knew that he wouldn't pull through.

I have four children, my oldest son is 27 and I cannot begin to imagine what his parents must be going through at the moment. I listened to Radio 5 Live earlier and it made me want to cry.

I do wonder whether Sean Abbot will ever be able to play again.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
RIP Philip Clarke. Desperately sad news, especially given his age. From what I can gather almost immediately medical staff knew that he wouldn't pull through.

I have four children, my oldest son is 27 and I cannot begin to imagine what his parents must be going through at the moment. I listened to Radio 5 Live earlier and it made me want to cry.

I'd forgotten before reading David Lawrence, the ex-Glos and England fast bowler, today on when he hit Phil Simmons, the West Indies batsman, at Bristol and concussed him (he wasn't wearing a helmet),an accident which for a couple of days looked as though it would have a lasting impact on Simmons, which thankfully it did not. Lawrence on his day, like Devon Malcolm, was the most ferocious fast bowler in county cricket, but lost a lot of his hostility after the incident and I'm sure he would admit that it preyed on his mind for the remainder of his playing days.

Although it is not the time for Sean Abbott to decide whether he can ever bowl fast again, I fear that the stigma would follow him around and he'd never be allowed to forget it, not that he would in any case, so it would I feel be most unlikely for him to return to his trade, as a tragedy like this does have colateral damage.

DownSouth

Established Member
It is now looking quite likely that the first Test in Brisbane, due to start next Thursday, will be cancelled and the series reduced to three matches.

As well as the obvious issues for the Australian sporting community, it would be unfair for India as their preparation (already hampered by the West Indies players walking out on them) has been disrupted with their final tour match (was to start today) being cancelled.

RIP Philip Hughes. Desperately sad news, especially given his age. From what I can gather almost immediately medical staff knew that he wouldn't pull through.
I guessed that he would not based on the news reports coming through early on Tuesday evening.
Are there helmets that could have protected Hughes though? (without being like armour)

B3cc7laCUAA1H8O.png
We don't know if the newer model Masuri helmet would have made the difference.

Just because there are improved helmets being released doesn't mean that the players will replace the old ones every time a new model comes out, the choice of equipment is up to the players in most teams. The typical player will only replace their helmets when they take a hit, or when a change of team colours and/or badge is necessary.

The problem with trying to protect the back of the neck is that there's not much more which can be added to the bottom of the helmet without impeding the normal range of movement required for a batsman.
It will undoubtedly be a very long healing process. However, by all accounts it has gotten off to a very good start with the Hughes family reaching out to him along with a number of cricketers known to be very close to the family, including Michael Clarke.

He will undoubtedly have all the support in the world from the Australian Cricketers Association, Cricket Australia, Cricket NSW and certain senior teammates. This is an area where cricket in Australia is among the world leaders, and where there no rivalry between Australia and England - better to cooperate and learn rather than compete.

On the other hand, I do expect that this will prod a few of the more senior domestic players to retire a couple of years earlier than they were thinking before, especially those who have kids.
Although it is not the time for Sean Abbott to decide whether he can ever bowl fast again, I fear that the stigma would follow him around and he'd never be allowed to forget it, not that he would in any case, so it would I feel be most unlikely for him to return to his trade, as a tragedy like this does have colateral damage.
I don't think the stigma will follow him around. Everyone is well aware that it was a freak accident (only 100 cases of that type of arterial injury have been recorded in history, and this was the first one from a cricket ball) and that it was completely independent of his bowling style.

For a bit of background, Sean Abbott is not a true fast bowler like Mitchell Johnson or Dale Steyn, he's a medium-fast bowler who relies on variation like Stuart Broad. The 135 km/h delivery which hit Phil Hughes would have been his effort ball for the over, where 135 km/h would be a slower ball for a fast bowler like Johnson.

Maybe he'll come back as a bowler who works on a probing line and length instead of T20-style, more in the mould of Glenn McGrath or Shaun Pollock. I can't ever remember seeing McGrath bowl any higher than the chest, because he didn't need to.
With the exception of the Bodyline tactics, before helmets short bowling generally worked on an informal deterrence system. If a batsman didn't stand up and play shots against shorter balls, the fast bowlers wouldn't bowl bouncers to them.

There was also an informal agreement until around 15-20 years ago that bowlers didn't bowl bouncers to other bowlers when they were at the crease. This started falling apart around the time that specialist bowlers like Brett Lee and Shaun Pollock started turning themselves into decent lower-order pinch-hitters, and is irreversible now that bowlers like Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Broad regularly get genuinely useful scores in all forms of the game.

A consequence of professionalism maybe? Full-time cricketers have more time to work on the 'other' parts of the game than their predecessors who had day jobs, which would also account for the higher standard of fielding these days.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear of this incident and it's terrible result. If I was Sean Abbott I don't think I could ever pick up a cricket ball again.