• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Sheffield - London via Retford open access proposal

H&I

So now we know where the 222s are going - and we were all wrong :lol:.
Would it not make more sense for them to use Hull Trains’ existing Class 802? It doesn’t make sense to maintain a different of train just for two return journeys a day. On the other hand, Hull Trains have also that announced they are doubling up their services to 10 coaches, so from Wednesdays to Sundays there may not be enough existing units to also run Sheffield service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Looking at the F3s included in the application they're interestingly numbering the services as if many more trains are on their agenda in the future:

SX
1A82 0920 Sheffield to Kings Cross
1A86 1654 Sheffield to Kings Cross
1G03 1248 Kings Cross to Sheffield
1G07 1956 Kings Cross to Sheffield

SO
1A82 0920 Sheffield to Kings Cross
1A86 1654 Sheffield to Kings Cross
1G03 1248 Kings Cross to Sheffield
1G07 2027 Kings Cross to Sheffield

SuO
1A82 0957 Sheffield to Kings Cross
1A86 1714 Sheffield to Kings Cross
1G03 1256 Kings Cross to Sheffield
1G07 1956 Kings Cross to Sheffield

Of course 'G' for a planned service on the Eastern Region is total nonsense. Really these should be 'J' but whereas Northern Scarborough to Sheffield are from 1J3x upwards Monday to Saturday on Sundays they're 1J0x for no apparent reason.

It's also interesting quite how much dwell time some of these trains have, for instance SX 1A82 has 2 minutes at Woodhouse, 6 at Worksop and 15 at Retford!

Even if you cut out the dwell at Retford it's not any quicker than EMR.
There's a myth that people like to peddle that the MML is slow and a Kings Cross to Nottingham/Sheffield service would be much faster, looking at those timings I don't see how that's possible

Chester1

Established Member
That is the reason 802s aren't suitable, there's not enough.
In theory longer-term Hitachi could make them some more bi-modes.

I think Modern Railways said a while back that Hitachi had basically priced itself out of future 80X orders and that was a major factor in LNER chosing CAF. That was a much bigger order than Hull Trains will need for the Sheffield service.

duffield

Established Member
There's a myth that people like to peddle that the MML is slow and a Kings Cross to Nottingham/Sheffield service would be much faster, looking at those timings I don't see how that's possible

As far as Nottingham to Kings Cross is concerned, yes, even if you could do the 23 miles to Grantham in about 20 minutes rather than the current 30 minutes non-stop (some upgrades would be required I'd guess!), you'd still be at around 90 minutes to Kings Cross (stopping once at Grantham then non-stop), which is pretty much identical to what a Nottingham to St. Pancras service would take if it only stopped at Leicester (1hr37m minus the Kettering and Market Harborough stops).

If there were spare paths going begging on the ECML south of Grantham, a competing service via an alternative route *might* make sense anyhow, but I'm pretty sure there are better uses for any such paths if they exist!

baz962

Established Member
As far as Nottingham to Kings Cross is concerned, yes, even if you could do the 23 miles to Grantham in about 20 minutes rather than the current 30 minutes non-stop (some upgrades would be required I'd guess!), you'd still be at around 90 minutes to Kings Cross (stopping once at Grantham then non-stop), which is pretty much identical to what a Nottingham to St. Pancras service would take if it only stopped at Leicester (1hr37m minus the Kettering and Market Harborough stops).

If there were spare paths going begging on the ECML south of Grantham, a competing service via an alternative route *might* make sense anyhow, but I'm pretty sure there are better uses for any such paths if they exist!
If you were meddling with stuff and an EMR only stopped Leicester and all green signals and nothing in the way it would be around 1 hour 25 minutes.

snowball

Established Member
The possibility of direct services from Worksop to London was the lead item on the lunchtime Yorkshire edition of Look North on BBC1 just now.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No one's taking the MML away from you; if you want to travel that way, you can still do so.

BrianW

Established Member
I know, but it being of no use to you personally doesn't, in my view, demerit the operation.
Back in the day ... I looked up times Sheffield <> London in my October 1964 ABC Railway Guide:
Sheff Midland dep 7.6, St Pan arr 10.15, Restaurant car service = 3h9; 12-13 tpd
Another Route: Sheff Victoria dep 7.20, KX arr 10.0, Pullman service, M-F, 2h50; 9-10 tpd
Another Route: Sheff Vic dep12.45. M'bone arr 5.25 = 4h40; 1 tpd e.w.
Same fares; make your choice

Nottingham Midland dep 8.0, St Pan arr 10.0, Restaurant car service = 2h; 16tpd; 31/-2nd class (1h55 teatime Pullman- 1st class only)
Another Route: Nott Vic dep 8.15, M'bone arr 11,25 = 3h10; 4tpd
Another Route: Nott Vic dep 6.55, KX arr 9.50, Restaurant car service = 2h55; 7-8 tpd; 32/- (Nott London Rd- 3 mins shorter, same fare)
Easier choice!

Worksop- KX via Retford- 10tpd, approx 3h, 36/9 2nd class
Worksop- St Pan via Nottm- 3tpd, quickest 3h58, 39/-
No real choice.

doa46231

Most interesting.
i was a student at Sheffield Uni in the early 60's (so you can guess how old I am now!)
When I had a weekend at home in North london, I usually caught the Thamesv-Clyde Express" or the "Waverley" that both called at Sheffield Midland in the afternoon on their journeys from Scotland.

Occasionally I got a Pullman service from Sheffield Victoria that ran to Kings Cross.
It was a sign of the times that I could afford the few bob extra to travel on it.

There was even a train that ran from Manchester to Marylebone calling at Sheffield Victoria that stopped at Harrow on the Hill, which was only a bus ride(the 18!) from my home, or more importantly within walking distance of my girl friends house!

The point being I could go to the station, buy my ticket and go.
There were no railcards in those days but the fares were affordable even to a student by noi means wealthy.
I dont believe the OA operators are offering anything novel. The OP is right, we need routes which are not covered by franchisees.

But of course, no money can be made on these routes.

I dont believe the Open access operators add anything which the Franchisees couldn't offer.
But they are constrained by the terms of their franchise, and lets face it, they are quite happy as they are and have no insentive to do more.
Our railway has become a sort of cl;osed off elite system that the vast majority of the population have no interes in, and worse still, wouldnt mind if it closed down tomorrow.

BR for all its faults was part of the fabric of the Nation, as most of the European systems still are.
Ours is just a nuisance to the Govt. who begrudge every penny spent on it.

Unfortunately the words of Chris Green, one of the best managers our railways have had are as true today as ever.

"People travel on our trains because they have to, not because they want to"

BrianW

Established Member
Most interesting.
i was a student at Sheffield Uni in the early 60's (so you can guess how old I am now!)
When I had a weekend at home in North london, I usually caught the Thamesv-Clyde Express" or the "Waverley" that both called at Sheffield Midland in the afternoon on their journeys from Scotland.

Occasionally I got a Pullman service from Sheffield Victoria that ran to Kings Cross.
It was a sign of the times that I could afford the few bob extra to travel on it.

There was even a train that ran from Manchester to Marylebone calling at Sheffield Victoria that stopped at Harrow on the Hill, which was only a bus ride(the 18!) from my home, or more importantly within walking distance of my girl friends house!

The point being I could go to the station, buy my ticket and go.
There were no railcards in those days but the fares were affordable even to a student by noi means wealthy.
I dont believe the OA operators are offering anything novel. The OP is right, we need routes which are not covered by franchisees.

But of course, no money can be made on these routes.

I dont believe the Open access operators add anything which the Franchisees couldn't offer.
But they are constrained by the terms of their franchise, and lets face it, they are quite happy as they are and have no insentive to do more.
Our railway has become a sort of cl;osed off elite system that the vast majority of the population have no interes in, and worse still, wouldnt mind if it closed down tomorrow.

BR for all its faults was part of the fabric of the Nation, as most of the European systems still are.
Ours is just a nuisance to the Govt. who begrudge every penny spent on it.

Unfortunately the words of Chris Green, one of the best managers our railways have had are as true today as ever.

"People travel on our trains because they have to, not because they want to"
Happy memories ...

The 39/9 2nd class single fare Sheffield- London in 1964 (3d change from £2) converts to £40 'in present prices' (https://www.inflationtool.com/british-pound/1964-to-present-value). The RailForumUK site shows travel tomorrow booking now one-way Sheffield-London for £65.00 direct to St Pancras (9am dep- 11.09arr); £42.50 an hour later; £29.10 (with or without 16-25 railcard?), 8.56 dep- KX arr 11.30 change Doncaster. OK, not 'walk-up' fares!

doa46231

Happy memories ...

The 39/9 2nd class single fare Sheffield- London in 1964 (3d change from £2) converts to £40 'in present prices' (https://www.inflationtool.com/british-pound/1964-to-present-value). The RailForumUK site shows travel tomorrow booking now one-way Sheffield-London for £65.00 direct to St Pancras (9am dep- 11.09arr); £42.50 an hour later; £29.10 (with or without 16-25 railcard?), 8.56 dep- KX arr 11.30 change Doncaster. OK, not 'walk-up' fares!

This shows the terrible state our fare structure is in.
Most people cant be bothered with it.
Last time I went on a train to Sheffield it was in 1995.
£34 RETURN! supersaver.
What is that now in real money?
That was the walk-up fare after 09.30.