• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jimini

Established Member
Very happy about this. They actually have a chance I think. Unlike Huddersfield

Yep, same here. Good to see them back in the Prem. Plus they did the double against us (Fulham) this season, so an opportunity to exact revenge on that front next season!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yep, same here. Good to see them back in the Prem. Plus they did the double against us (Fulham) this season, so an opportunity to exact revenge on that front next season!

My mothers side of the family are all Forest fans so I’m pretty pleased too.
I will say sorry to @61653 HTAFC for that statement though. ;)

Harvester

Established Member
And Nottingham Forest are back in the Premier League. Hopefully they won't do a Fulham/Norwich and come straight back down.
They may well do, unless they can find decent replacements for the five loan players they have relied on this season.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And Nottingham Forest are back in the Premier League. Hopefully they won't do a Fulham/Norwich and come straight back down.

Pretty awful game, and some terrible reffing from Jon Moss compounded by one utterly inexplicable VAR non-decision. Still glad for Forest, always had a soft spot for them
How a referee with such a poor reputation was selected for the "Richest Game In Football(TM)" is beyond me... couldn't they just give him a gold watch instead?

That said, you play the cards you're dealt. Well played Forest for holding their nerve and pressing the advantage.
Very happy about this. They actually have a chance I think. Unlike Huddersfield
Nobody gave us a chance last time either, but we survived against the odds. I'll not go into what happened afterwards... :oops:
Forest have earned their place in the Premier League, that goes without saying... but they had to earn it on the field. It does slightly irritate me when I hear "Team X should be in the Prem" when the only justification is a large population. Forest have an illustrious history (and far more recent than Huddersfield's) but that counts for nothing on the field of play. Forest deserve their place because they earned it- not because Nottingham is big and they won some European trophies 40 years ago. You never hear "Preston North End should be in the Prem" despite their past glories, but I'd like to see them make it myself... albeit not at Huddersfield's expense of course!
My mothers side of the family are all Forest fans so I’m pretty pleased too.
I will say sorry to @61653 HTAFC for that statement though. ;)
No worries...
I came into the game not really thinking I'd care all that much if we lost, having experienced the highs and lows of being a small fish in a big pond a few years ago... however the manner of the defeat, between two sides who were both a bit overwhelmed by the occasion was hard to take. We didn't play well, but Forest didn't either so it could have been anyone's game... the fine margins of penalty calls, and the decisive own-goal that Levi Colwill would struggle to replicate if asked to, does sting a little.

Weirdly, my experience of Forest fans on social media had me expecting them to mostly be arrogant and entitled, but having chatted to several over a beer this evening, I don't think they're as bad as their more vocal Twitterers seem to be. Something about empty vessels, I guess...

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
By George, you managed to get my "little grey cells" fully operational with your emboldened mention above of Swinton Town FC.

Swinton Town FC was a former English association football club based in Swinton, West Yorkshire. Their most notable performance was to reach the first qualifying round of the FA Cup in the 1898-1899 season.

Bradford's first game ever was a pre-season friendly in 1895 against Swinton. Swinton were from the Rotherham area which was in the West Riding at that time, but is now in South Yorkshire.

Here is a match report from the Bradford Football Club 1895-1899 website:

SWINTON (ROTHERHAM) 3 BRADFORD 0

At Swinton. The vicar kicked off. It was soon evident that the Swinton team's combination was superior to the visitors', and the game had not been in progress long before Booth opened the scoring with a good shot. For some time the Bradford team pressed, but the Swinton backs relieved the pressure and the home team getting away by some good combination were enabled to get close up, and Beadsley scored another goal for them. The play from this juncture up to half-time was mostly of a give-and-take character, and the teams crossed over with Swinton leading by two goals to nil.

With the advantage of the wind and playing down hill, it was thought that Bradford would equalize, but the defence of the home team was too good and shortly before time Jessop scored another goal for Swinton. The game ended in a win for the home team by three goals to nil.

Preston as back played a good game and all the halves were safe. Of the forwards Guest and Jessop were the pick. For Bradford, Killick kept goal in fine style, and Smith and Collinson were safe at back. All the halves did well, and Ackroyd and Laidlaw were the pick of the forwards. Teams –

Swinton: Askin, goal; Preston and Schofield, backs; Merrick, Whittington, and Dawson (captain), halves; Blount, Jessop, Beadsley, Booth, and Guest, forwards.

Bradford: H. Killick, goal; I. Smith and H. Collinson, backs; R. Thorne, A. Shepherd (captain) and N. Thorne, half backs; C. Ackroyd and C. Ingham, right wing; Healey and Laidlaw, left wing; J. Miles, centre.

Referee: W. Sayers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Bolton Wanderers have now pulled out of a pre-season "friendly" fixture against newly relegated Oldham Athletic. which could have been a local derby game. Is it true the reason Bolton gave was the pitch invasion at Boundary Park in a recent match that caused the players to be taken off the field, the crowd dispersed and the remainder of the match played some time later that day behind closed doors?

THC

I am unsure that anyone here will be privy to the conversation between the football clubs, but it was reported subsequently that Bolton fans complained to their club when the fixture was announced as they did not want their money to end up in the pockets of the OAFC owner. Hence its cancellation.

THC

GS250

In today's play-off semi final match, Solihull Moors won 3-1 against Chesterfield.

I'd rank them as clear favourites now. Out of the play off sides, they and Grimsby are the only two who really impressed me. However, Solihull have very little pressure on them to perform. They are effectively Sutton United mk2 who worked out exactly what was needed to get out of this division.

Out of those who fell by the wayside, Wrexham the most disappointing really. You simply cannot concede 5 goals at home against a team in your division. No doubt they are the team under immense pressure to attain promotion and there's absolutely no guarantees they will win the league next season.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Later on today, Scotland will be hosting Ukraine in the World Cup Europe play off.

I feel it would have been better to have given Ukraine a by to the group stages due to the present conflict, and to keep the numbers the same, I would have expelled Saudi Arabia due to the ongoing conflict in Yemen (which does not get mentioned in the news very much).

Or would that be too much to ask, being as the conflict in Yemen has been directly caused by the UK selling arms to the Saudi Government, who very conveniently happen to be our best buddies?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Later on today, Scotland will be hosting Ukraine in the World Cup Europe play off.

I feel it would have been better to have given Ukraine a by to the group stages due to the present conflict, and to keep the numbers the same, I would have expelled Saudi Arabia due to the ongoing conflict in Yemen (which does not get mentioned in the news very much).

Or would that be too much to ask, being as the conflict in Yemen has been directly caused by the UK selling arms to the Saudi Government, who very conveniently happen to be our best buddies?
Why don't you want Scotland to play Ukraine? :lol:

scotrail158713

Established Member
I feel it would have been better to have given Ukraine a by to the group stages due to the present conflict
Is that you Graeme Souness? :D

In all seriousness though part of me is surprised that this game is going ahead. When it was postponed in March with a rescheduled date of June I thought at that time there was no chance of it going ahead, but here we are.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is that you Graeme Souness? :D

In all seriousness though part of me is surprised that this game is going ahead. When it was postponed in March with a rescheduled date of June I thought at that time there was no chance of it going ahead, but here we are.

Probably wishing it hadn’t gone ahead though…

scotrail158713

Established Member
Apart from the Ukrainian penalty claim shortly before half-time which I was surprised wasn't given with VAR, where was the other controversy? Penalty aside I thought the referee handled the game well.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Absolutely amazed. Never expected us to actually make it. Throughout the years its always been so close but so far. Always making it hard for ourselves and missing out at the last hurdle. Even our relative success in the last few years has felt somewhat temporary but it is starting to feel like this could be the "new normal" for us now.

Gutted for Ukraine, given they were probably the better team and given everything else going on right now too.

But you can't overstate how huge this is for Welsh football. The last time we were in a World Cup my dad was about 11 months old, he is now almost 65 years old! The likes of Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy, Ian Rush etc never got to play in one.

And there are now rumours about Bale joining Cardiff for a few months to keep fit. I can't see it myself but just the fact that is currently a conversation is just bonkers! A long way from when I started going down Ninian Park 15 years ago when we were in the third division.

GS250

For all the wider World pandering for a Ukraine win, I'm rather glad they didn't. We could do without the massive amount of attention that they will receive over the tournament. Turning what should be a sporting event into a political soul searching exercise. Especially ironic as those members of the elite who would be behind the Ukraine flag waving were also the same party who awarded both Russia and then Qatar the World Cup. Both countries of which have a pretty lamentable record of civility.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England currently bottom of their group with two of the three group matches played. They managed a 1-1 draw against Germany with a very late penalty equaliser which is the only goal they have scored in their first two group matches.

Incidentally, looking at the goal tally that Kane now has for England, how many were scored from the penalty spot and how many were scored from open play?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Incidentally, looking at the goal tally that Kane now has for England, how many were scored from the penalty spot and how many were scored from open play?
Fifteen of the 50 goals scored thus far by Harry Kane for England, have been from penalties, apparently.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Absolutely disgusting performance from England, no excuses whatsoever. For me this is much worse than losing to Iceland - Iceland’s performance was heroic, Hungary’s then was that of a normal functional team, actually creating and converting chances.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Who is even bothered with the Nations League? These players are knackered and will need to play in a World Cup this winter. None of the players playing are at their best. Let them have a break!