• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
2 members of WMR staff completed a full ticket check before departure, on the 1104 Brum - Liverpool this morning, which I was glad to see as it’s the first check I’ve had in about 4 months on this route. They found one ticketless scrote chancer within seconds, and off he went :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Been checked on XC, TPE and GWR (In First Class only) Also a revenue block with Northern and TPE at Scarborough.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
On a Northern service from York to Hull yesterday, the guard carried out a ticket check before departing York station (but not while the train was in motion).

Chriso

Delighted to report a ticket check by guard on the 14:07 York to Northallerton. A few tickets sold on board but full check completed. First check since March. Nothing on 11:06 Kings X To York LNER with guard still advising can be found at the rear of the train

Starmill

Veteran Member
I recently travelled from Pwllheli on my first rail journey since March. Some four and a half hours after beginning my trip I was able to buy a ticket at Machynlleth. Had that not been one of the places I visited while on the Cambrian, it would have been completely impossible for me to pay the fare.

I don't know if Barmouth visitor centre was able to sell rail tickets in the past, but it didn't appear to be open even if that arrangement is still in place.

8J

TPE conductors are now supposed to be checking tickets. The stipulation however is that if the train is busy and social distancing is not possible, then you don't go through.

DDB

I've had a couple of ticket checks on the platform at Nottingham

BJames

Established Member
I was checked a lot on GWR recently; by Guards on the trains to/from Barnstaple (also at Exeter St Davids/Central) and also on a train to Paignton.

However my Kingswear to York journey saw no checks.

I'm told we're about to have a ticket check on an LNER train, but I've not seen anyone yet. This would be my first check on board LNER since before the lockdown. They may also be checking reservations; I will find out if they are as the people sat opposite swapped seats with another group, so it'll be interesting to see if this gets picked up!
Out of interest did this get picked up?

I was booked in coach K yesterday on LNER southbound from Grantham, there were only three members of staff in the carriage sitting across two table seats and we were told not to worry about the compulsory reservations in this carriage and just sit anywhere... I suspect probably because they were actually sitting in our seats and didn't want to move! Not that we minded anyway, it was a nice quiet journey.

Have still not been ticket checked since before lockdown and have travelled fairly regularly on EMR and LNER but also on Avanti (and TfL services). Barriers are still more consistently in operation though everywhere. NET Tram staff are travelling the network but are only checking face coverings at the moment and even then not all the staff are, some are just riding the network pretty much.

DDB

NET Tram staff are travelling the network but are only checking face coverings at the moment and even then not all the staff are, some are just riding the network pretty much.
Yes I don't get why the NET Tram stuff are there they don't appear to be doing anything. I saw one the other day not even managing to set a good example be wearing thier mask correctly so it covered their nose as well as thier mouth.

Class195

No ticket checks on Northern or TPE today.

To be fair to the conductor on the Leeds to Liverpool train, she was counting the passenger numbers before departure and decided it was too busy.

People were stood up in the vestibules at either end of my carriage.

Interesting to see how the railway deals with social distancing now the trains are slowly reaching capacity.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was checked a lot on GWR recently; by Guards on the trains to/from Barnstaple (also at Exeter St Davids/Central) and also on a train to Paignton.

However my Kingswear to York journey saw no checks.

I'm told we're about to have a ticket check on an LNER train, but I've not seen anyone yet. This would be my first check on board LNER since before the lockdown. They may also be checking reservations; I will find out if they are as the people sat opposite swapped seats with another group, so it'll be interesting to see if this gets picked up!
Today LNER I was checked on a hop between Leeds and Wakefield (Azuma), but both my journeys between London and Leeds and Leeds to London yesterday and this evening

All journeys were in first class where they’re usually strictest actually.

I know Avanti West Coast, TransPennine Express and Great Western Railway are checking and I’ve had multiple checks myself on the latter two. I assumed it was a first thing but South Western Railway don’t seem to bother.

Very surprisingly, Northern haven’t checked me ONCE, which is mad, because previously the ticket inspectors would be over you like a rash before you’d even taken a seat. Neither have the other TOCs that Ive been on since COVID, which are CrossCountry, c2c, Greater Anglia, SouthEastern, GTR, EMR and a few others too

johntea

Established Member
LNER (or perhaps another operator) certainly finally seem to have cracked the concept of having closed ticket gates at London Kings Cross!

Brings up an interesting situation regarding Grand Central, who I don’t think are doing revenue on board still...but still claim you can ‘buy on board’ without penalty so how does that work if you board a train without a ticket and end up at Kings Cross having not had the opportunity to buy one on board - is there an excess fares at Kings Cross?

Starmill

Veteran Member
There is a small window at London Kings Cross inside the gates, I think it's by platform 6, but whether it's open is another matter. If you turned up there saying you needed to buy a ticket, they'd probably just show you the way to the main ticket office.

Chriso

There is a small window at London Kings Cross inside the gates, I think it's by platform 6, but whether it's open is another matter. If you turned up there saying you needed to buy a ticket, they'd probably just show you the way to the main ticket office.
Travelling through Kings Cross yday it is good to finally see all gates properly closed and staffed. The excess fare window was closed and travel centre has reopened.

On Grand Central seat reservations were being stated as compulsory with no mention of buying on board on the departure screens as previously advertised

Belperpete

Established Member
I recently travelled from Pwllheli on my first rail journey since March. Some four and a half hours after beginning my trip I was able to buy a ticket at Machynlleth. Had that not been one of the places I visited while on the Cambrian, it would have been completely impossible for me to pay the fare.
Four and a half hours from Pwllheli to Mach!!! It should only take half that. Serious delays, or bus substitution?

I had a similar experience recently, except that when I went to the booking office at Mach there was no-one there. Lights on and handbag on table, but no ticket clerk. I waited for the best part of ten minutes, but gave up when the train came in. No ticket checks or sales on-board TfW services, so I eventually bought my ticket at Birmingham, at journey's end.

I have had guards say that I should get off the train at Shrewsbury to get a ticket, as the trains often stop there for 10-15 minutes, but I am reluctant to do so. It is quite a long way from platform to ticket office, you have to get through the barriers without any clear view of how busy the booking office is, and if you don't have time to buy a ticket, you are going to have trouble getting back through the barriers to rejoin the train!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Four and a half hours from Pwllheli to Mach!!! It should only take half that. Serious delays, or bus substitution?
Unfortunately the train was cancelled after Porthmadog because of the failure of the level crossing, so we were taken on the service 2 hours later which was run by buses. Fortunately an express via Dolgellau and a minibus for local stations were provided. Of course there's no ticket selling possible on the buses either.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
On SWR train patrols have recommenced and this includes ticket checking although it is at the discretion of the guard and dependent on how busy the train is, whether we have enough sanitiser that we can carry and also subject to being in the right place at the right time in order to complete station duties in accordance with RSSB rules. At this time no ticket issuing equipment is being signed out and it could yet be some time before this starts again as each depot has its own issues in that respect.

Big Tim

Last Tuesday (11th August) I took the 1155 LNER from York to Dundee, no onboard checks whatsoever, and while the barriers were staffed at Dundee, passengers were summoned through an open gate with no requirement to produce a ticket.

Foregoing the option of a rail replacement bus, I took a Scotrail (1033) from Dundee to Edinburgh yesterday (19th August). This time gates were open at Dundee, with no staff in the vicinity. No on-board ticket check, but the train terminated at Platform 15 at Waverley, and the gates were closed - so a valid ticket was required to exit the "terminus platform" area. (Side note - this was a "Fife Stopper" and became - at least in the current climate - fairly busy, with no reservations on board, and passengers boarding at later stops were sharing both Airline and Table seats with some who were already on board).

Finally, I joined with the 1230 Edinburgh service to Kings Cross, leaving the train at York. Again no on-board ticket check, or indeed any requirement to present my ticket for this journey on either station. There were one or two people on this train who kept being "evicted" from seats by other passengers who had reservations for them. I'm not implying those being moved didn't have a valid ticket, but merely a reserved seat, so if mandatory reservations are required, then they do really need to be policed to be effective. (Sorry, that last bit was slightly "off-topic").

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
I’ve seen the open gate thing at Brighton on my two trips there recently, yet coming back for the return journey the barriers have been in operation

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Full ticket check on a GWR IET a few days ago, but what surprised me was that the guard (who didn't have a portable ticket machine) was telling people who hadn't bought a ticket to purchase an e-ticket from trainline.com. Wouldn't gwr.com have been more on-message...?

BenW390Fan

Never had a check on either of my journeys from Liverpool - Windermere or Windermere - Liverpool over 4 days

Sean Davidson

Can't remember the last time I had my tickets checked on Southeastern, gate line is in operation at London Bridge but not at Tonbridge

iainbhx

2 members of WMR staff completed a full ticket check before departure, on the 1104 Brum - Liverpool this morning, which I was glad to see as it’s the first check I’ve had in about 4 months on this route. They found one ticketless scrote chancer within seconds, and off he went :D

Not had a ticket check on a WMR Brum-Liverpool since before the pandemic. Penkridge-Stafford is full of fare dodgers.

Did have the first Avanti check I've seen for a while on the 07:15 Brum-Preston this morning.

Chriso

Not had a ticket check on a WMR Brum-Liverpool since before the pandemic. Penkridge-Stafford is full of fare dodgers.

Did have the first Avanti check I've seen for a while on the 07:15 Brum-Preston this morning.
i have never understand how Stafford has avoided having gates installed as it’s seems such an easy station to gate

Howardh

Established Member
Couple of weeks ago I was in Avanti 1st and we did have our tickets checked, and a large family only had standard so they were turfed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.