• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
On a Northern train tonight an announcement from the guard that "ticket sales on board are temporarily suspended"

Unlucky if you're travelling into Leeds in the morning from an unstaffed station or similar and require use of the excess fares window, good luck explaining your situation to the EIGHT revenue contractors I saw stood round that area!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
On a Northern train tonight an announcement from the guard that "ticket sales on board are temporarily suspended"

Unlucky if you're travelling into Leeds in the morning from an unstaffed station or similar and require use of the excess fares window, good luck explaining your situation to the EIGHT revenue contractors I saw stood round that area!

If you're travelling from an staffed station with no ticket buying facilities, it would be the first opportunity you've had to purchase a ticket so no problems there (or at least shouldn't be anyway!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had my ticket checked on a TPE train today.

Worryingly the Guard was not observing the agreed ticket acceptance (didn't affect me though).

lancastria

Ticket barriers manned and in operation today at London Bridge, East Croydon, Horsham, and Clapham Junction.
No onboard train ticket checks or sales on the Southeastern, Southern and Thameslink services I used.
Plenty of dispatch staff at East Croydon, London Bridge, and Clapham Junction.

Chriso

Gates working at Liverpool St, Bishops Stortford and Cambridge on the West Anglia. No in train activity but did see an rpi issuing tickets on the Liverpool St gateline

birchesgreen

Established Member
Travelled on 8 trains today (travelled on WMR, LNWR, XC, Northern and EMR), no ticket checks

Though i always have one of course.

_toommm_

Established Member
Ticket check on 06:00 Leeds to Manchester Vic this morning. No ticket checks on Northern to and from Heald Green.

Tried to help a few people out at Leeds this morning as their train to KGX (05:05) had been removed from the timetable, but there were no reservations available on the next one. Guard wasn’t happy about them getting on the 06:05. Felt sorry for one of them as he was going all the way to Brussels.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's that? Thanks!
See https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...il-policies-from-monday-7th-september.207999/
Ticket check on 06:00 Leeds to Manchester Vic this morning. No ticket checks on Northern to and from Heald Green.

Tried to help a few people out at Leeds this morning as their train to KGX (05:05) had been removed from the timetable, but there were no reservations available on the next one. Guard wasn’t happy about them getting on the 06:05. Felt sorry for one of them as he was going all the way to Brussels.
Sounds like typical poor customer service :(

317 forever

Established Member
Travelling through Kings Cross yday it is good to finally see all gates properly closed and staffed. The excess fare window was closed and travel centre has reopened.

On Grand Central seat reservations were being stated as compulsory with no mention of buying on board on the departure screens as previously advertised

I wonder whether seats are compulsory even between Bradford and Pontefract, or shorter journeys, for people with West Yorkshire passes.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Tickets checked yesterday.

Interestingly, the announcement before the check was “please have all tickets, railcards and face coverings ready for inspection”. There was one person who didn’t have a face covering in my coach, and they were asked to ‘show their doctor’s letter’. They couldn’t produce one so the guard had to phone up control before coming back in and, reluctantly, accepting that the person in question was exempt.

I imagine it’s just a small, small minority of guards who are doing this, but still concerning to see it.

father_jack

Interestingly, the announcement before the check was “please have all tickets, railcards and face coverings ready for inspection”. There was one person who didn’t have a face covering in my coach, and they were asked to ‘show their doctor’s letter’. They couldn’t produce one so the guard had to phone up control before coming back in and, reluctantly, accepting that the person in question was exempt.

I imagine it’s just a small, small minority of guards who are doing this, but still concerning to see it.
That should be a disciplinary issue and by phoning control the errant guard may have hopefully dropped themselves in it from a great height.

Aside, I was on a HST to Skegness on Saturday and when the guard came through the front/"enthusiast" carriage (which also had a large amount of PRIV travellers) they found the need to sarcastically comment on the number of sunflower lanyards being worn, "oh so we're nearly all exempt in here are we.....". I'm in no doubt some lanywards had been procured by those who didn't need them/weren't exempt but when you have such a loose system saying nothing might be the best approach.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Which TOC was this out of interest?

Scotrail still not doing checks (with the exception of one 'rogue' guard out of Inverness a few days back) and I've had cause to use LNER too but no check on either journey (Edinburgh-Glasgow).

greyman42

Established Member

I was not aware that you had your face covering "inspected"?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Aside, I was on a HST to Skegness on Saturday and when the guard came through the front/"enthusiast" carriage (which also had a large amount of PRIV travellers) they found the need to sarcastically comment on the number of sunflower lanyards being worn, "oh so we're nearly all exempt in here are we.....".

That guard needs to keep his thoughts to himself and to get on with the job he is paid to do and that is to check tickets.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Both ticket inspectors and guards on the 0532 Trowbridge to Portsmouth this morning, both of them practically approached me before I had chance to sit down! Two or three hooded chaps had a shock I think.

For some reason, however, GWR are still saying on Twitter that no ticket checks are taking place at the moment. Not sure if that's a trap!

stevetay3

We are never going to see rail travel return to normal anytime soon, the way the TOCs are behaving at the moment. Have just read on this forum

I Paying customers being removed by rent a thug because the train is overcrowding.
Can thay not just add additional stock to services at busy times, there must be stock around at the moment given the reduced timetables.

2 Mask checks on trains by staff that could by checking tickets.

3 Non acceptance of another train operators tickets, when thay should be doing so, There is only one train operator at the moment Joe Public the tax payer.

4 Ten Pound admin fee to change a ticket even if you are forced into lockdown.

5 Posters still saying Essential Travel only in certain areas of the country.

6 Nothing open on the stations inc Booking Offices. Then you get pestered by staff who could be selling tickets in the first place.

Thay really don’t want us at the moment ,thay may change there tune when we stop subsiding them with millions of pounds, By the time this happens it will be to late, Beeching Round 2 will be here.

Finally had a ticket check on GWR from Portsmouth to Westbury today.

To get to this point I've travelled all over East Anglia, to London, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Wednesday 19th - Wigan Wallgate to Leeds, Leeds to Hull, Hull to Scarborough.
Friday 21st - Scarborough to Hull, Hull to Leeds, Leeds to Wigan NW.

No on train checks. Only time I had to have ticket was to board at Wallgate. Did go out at Leeds and Hull in both directions, so needed ticket then, but that was only to get refreshments.

Established Member
There were tickets being checked and sold on the Night Riviera on Monday night.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Tickets checked on TPE both ways today (Lockerbie - Edinburgh and return)

greyman42

Established Member
Travelled on the 1358 York to London and the 2200 London to York. No checks on either service but barriers were working on arrival in London.

bramling

Veteran Member
We are never going to see rail travel return to normal anytime soon, the way the TOCs are behaving at the moment. Have just read on this forum

I Paying customers being removed by rent a thug because the train is overcrowding.
Can thay not just add additional stock to services at busy times, there must be stock around at the moment given the reduced timetables.

2 Mask checks on trains by staff that could by checking tickets.

3 Non acceptance of another train operators tickets, when thay should be doing so, There is only one train operator at the moment Joe Public the tax payer.

4 Ten Pound admin fee to change a ticket even if you are forced into lockdown.

5 Posters still saying Essential Travel only in certain areas of the country.

6 Nothing open on the stations inc Booking Offices. Then you get pestered by staff who could be selling tickets in the first place.

Thay really don’t want us at the moment ,thay may change there tune when we stop subsiding them with millions of pounds, By the time this happens it will be to late, Beeching Round 2 will be here.

Sadly I think there's quite an element of truth to the above.

I've pretty much abandoned rail travel to/from work at present, as I've been finding the car as offered a refreshing alternative.

I'd still love to be going in and out by train, however I just can't be bothered to play the mask game.

The big crunch comes in a few weeks time when the season ticket is due for renewal. Even at PRIV rate I'm not going to be doing it for something which I've now barely used for several weeks.

bearhugger

Last week down in the Farnham area - never got checked at all on South Western Railway journeys over multiple journeys , although I did buy from the TVM and used the tickets to get out & in at Waterloo. Got checked on GWR going from Paddington to Reading & got out of the gates and checked back in using a Thames Branches rover. The rest of the day I wasn't checked using the rover, Wasn't chacked at all on LNER between Darlington & Kings Cross & return but did have passenger assist booked so the guy helping us with that at Kings cross just got an attendant to open the wide / wheelchair gate.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No on train checks on multiple trains yesterday

But today we were checked on the Severn Beach line within seconds of boarding

Full grip on service leaving KGX yesterday evening (knowing who it was, not surprised)

Still the exception rather than the rule though.

Status
Not open for further replies.