• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST coach disposals

DB

Apologies if this has been asked before, but why are so many HST carriages still being sent for scrap?

In recent years GWR, Scotrail and Cross-Country have all reintroduced HSTs (after refurbishment) so the HST power cars and carriages currently off-lease should be kept in store as they may be a chance that they can be put back into service at some point.

The comfort levels and general ambience on an HST is far better than on Voyagers, IEPs, IETs, etc.

Scotrail and GWR are effectively half-length sets, so a lot of surplus Mk3s there. XC haven't re-introduced them - it's the same five sets they have had for a long time, with upgrades done now and a couple of spare power cars acquired (they had none before this).

The EMR and ex-LNER fleets have no long term use, so a number of the Mk3 sets have been scrapped too.

The ROSCOs wouldn't be scrapping them if they thought there was a realistic chance of finding companies to lease them, so clearly they have decided that it's the end of the line - storing vehicles costs them money, and the longer they are stored the more they would cost to reactivate.

No power cars have been scrapped yet (other than the three which were written off years ago in accidents), which is perhaps somewhat surprising although one has been stripped for parts and at least four more are having the same treatment and most of those will most likely be scrapped in due course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has been asked before, but why are so many HST carriages still being sent for scrap?

In recent years GWR, Scotrail and Cross-Country have all reintroduced HSTs (after refurbishment) so the HST power cars and carriages currently off-lease should be kept in store as they may be a chance that they can be put back into service at some point.

The comfort levels and general ambience on an HST is far better than on Voyagers, IEPs, IETs, etc.

Simple answer is cost. It isn’t free to store vehicles, and over time they deteriorate whilst in store, especially if they’re not being run on a semi-regular basis.

The leasing companies will no doubt have tested the water to see what potential possibilities there might be for re-use, especially bearing in mind there’s other newer fleets either off-lease now or due to go that way in the future.

It won’t help their case if the Carmont accident investigation raises questions about crashworthiness, though this is probably more likely to focus on driver protection inside HST power cars.

cole_peter5@

Hi everyone did any HST Coaches go to Sim Newport - 21 Jan Thursday
If yes anyone got the number Please ..... Peter

On Moderation
Don't think so - the move from Neville Hill didn't go ahead.
Loco failure (37510) in the morning, as I understand it. Suitably battered to take a load of stock to Gascoigne Wood this afternoon instead, though.

warwickshire

On Moderation
There was a move today 5q78 0722 gascoigne wood to Simms Newport Cardiff showing both on realtime trains and on live rail record. However on a you tube channel a enthusiast has kindly filmed the move at kings norton. It has 9 coaches on. All ex lner livery. Wonder what ex NL ex lner set this was. Plus vehicle numbers. 47813 was on front. Any information is kindly appreciated.

Phil Scott

Another rake of Mk3s to Newport today - list updated on p1

41066/097/098/151/152
42182/190/240/354

Info from Hstgen forum

cole_peter5@

Hi Guy --- 37510 took some HST coaches from Ely - Sims Newport on 4 Feb.

Has anyone goy the got the numbers Please ------ Peter

Dave91131

It never got started, 37510 failed prior to departure I believe.

Was supposed to be 8 x ex GWR TGS vehicles.

DBS92042

Established Member

It was supposedly going to be the following: 44038 44001 44018 44007 44093 44010 44039 44011, but as mentioned above, it was cancelled so all the coaches remain at Ely for now

Benno

The leasing companies will no doubt have tested the water to see what potential possibilities there might be for re-use, especially bearing in mind there’s other newer fleets either off-lease now or due to go that way in the future.
They have, and the simple fact is that the remaining HST trailer vehicles have no future, there is no operator wanting to take any more on. FGW and Scotrail have the amount they require, XC do not want any more and there has been very little further (serious) interest from other operators / preservation groups other than what is already allocated or has been sold.

To have trailer cars stood down costing more to store than their scrap value is not going to happen, so off for disposal it is.

cole_peter5@

It sad really to see these good coaches going for scrap - when there is still a lot of live still left in them.

But it cost money for these to be store so these leasing company have to said bye bye. sadly.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It sad really to see these good coaches going for scrap - when there is still a lot of live still left in them.

But it cost money for these to be store so these leasing company have to said bye bye. sadly.

Is there really that much life left in a 45 year old rusty coach. The best of the bunch have already been re-used.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Looks like ROG 37884 & 37611 took 8 MK3 TGSs for scraping today.
5Q78 07:20 Ely Papworth - Newport Docks

Spirit555

Consist for 5Q78 Ely-Newport Docks

37611, 975875, 977087, 44011, 44039, 44010, 44093, 44007, 44038, 44018, 44001, 6344, 37884

Mark

Yew

Established Member
Does anyone Is there a possibility of purchasing a first class IC70 seat?

I notice on the first page of this thread there is a coach listed as going to Bachmann - I couldn't find any reason for this online, does anyone know what they want with it?

57Tonic

TGS44062 (977996) Bachmann Europe plc, Barwell. Info from

The Railway Heritage Register​

Converted to Battery Coach for New Measurement Train. Following withdrawal in 2009 sold to Bachmann Europe, by 7/10 standing on its own wheels at their HQ Moat Way, Barwell, Leicestershire. To be used as a meeting and training facility, gutted inside. Now painted in Southern green. Underframe heavily stripped after the battery trials

But I am certain the can sell you an IC70 seat but it will be in OO scale,

DB

You could try contacting Porterbrook? Only the ex-EMT sets still have IC70s. If any of the remaining ones go to Booth's you could probably get one from there, but most seem to be going to Sims at Newport who break them up very quickly and don't do any parts recovery.

I notice on the first page of this thread there is a coach listed as going to Bachmann - I couldn't find any reason for this online, does anyone know what they want with it?

It's been there a fair while. I have seen pictures of the inside- meeting space and an exhibition area as I recall.

Yew

Established Member
You could try contacting Porterbrook? Only the ex-EMT sets still have IC70s. If any of the remaining ones go to Booth's you could probably get one from there, but most seem to be going to Sims at Newport who break them up very quickly and don't do any parts recovery.
Fired off an email to Sims asking if they'd be willing to sell any; I'll update the forum if they seem interested.

It's been there a fair while. I have seen pictures of the inside- meeting space and an exhibition area as I recall.

I suppose it makes an interesting feature and fits in with what their business is about.

On Moderation
Fired off an email to Sims asking if they'd be willing to sell any; I'll update the forum if they seem interested.
So, you’re given some pretty sound advice as to the most likely way of being successful and instead you decide to contact the least likely source. Words fail me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This subject has been done before and it is clear Sims aren’t interested - it’s effectively a production line facility and they are just not in the market of selling bits to the public.

Yew

Established Member
So, you’re given some pretty sound advice as to the most likely way of being successful and instead you decide to contact the least likely source. Words fail me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This subject has been done before and it is clear Sims aren’t interested - it’s effectively a production line facility and they are just not in the market of selling bits to the public.
Nothing precludes sending emails to both, but the poster didn't seem certain if Booths had any.

DB

Nothing precludes sending emails to both, but the poster didn't seem certain if Booths had any.

Try Porterbrook - they own all the ex-EMT sets.

Booths have had some, and some GA loco hauled Mk3s (with IC70s, although the FOs had IC80s and not sure that many of those have been scrapped) but not aware of any recent deliveries. Might be some hanging around, but they've probably broken them up by now.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
You could also try Arlington Fleet Services in Eastleigh, they are scrapping some HST, 442 and 317s there. Some seats have been recovered and put in to a prototype HST mk3 that is being preserved so they may well have some for sale

spotify95

From what I've read up and seen, SIMS don't salvage any parts (which is a shame). It just gets processed into their machinery. Of course, it might be worth trying, but the chances of SIMS selling any parts are very remote.

Apart from Booths (which was mentioned by others on here), a few HST coaches went to EMR Kingsbury a while back as well. I doubt they still have those coaches, but as for whether they'd sell any parts, it's worth a shout.

I wondered this myself a while back as well. There's certainly the market for old train furniture/fixtures/fittings/accessories, albeit quite a niche market.

Indeed. A lot of the EMR HST interiors were better than the interiors of the Meridians that are still in service. And that doesn't consider the choice to use metallic foil in the 22x series (which significantly affects FM/DAB/3G/4G reception). I loved the HSTs when they were on the Midland Mainline.

DB

You could also try Arlington Fleet Services in Eastleigh, they are scrapping some HST, 442 and 317s there. Some seats have been recovered and put in to a prototype HST mk3 that is being preserved so they may well have some for sale

Not aware of anything with first class IC70s having been scrapped there.