• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Kings Cross & Leeds (06/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer2511

The position is now closed, I got email saying they received alot of applicants. Anyone else didn't make it just before the deadline ?

When did you do your VR1
Did my vr1 last Friday, email inviting to video on Monday, then did the video on Thursday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

When I did mine, I had 10 minutes overall on each of the 6 questions

this time included prep, record and viewing the question which stayed on screen the whole time aside from when recording

the only 10 second countdown was to confirm if I wanted to use the recorded response

Pantalonas

At risk of repeating, I’ll add my two pence worth -
My video invite gave me 3 days and was followed by a reminder at day 2. I also had 30 seconds prep then a maximum of 3 minutes to speak (with a second attempt if necessary).
The only time I re-recorded a clip I did notice a red countdown timer which I presume was counting down the overall 10 minutes (as having a second attempt is the only way to get close to 10 minutes of used time).
As for people asking for the Q&A and/or using multiple accounts, they’ll be found out further down the line (pun intended!!) Sorry to sound harsh but you can only play the system to a certain point. At some point you/we will be speaking face to face with interviewers and assessors!
Finally - good luck to all. I hope I see you in a training room some day…

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK.
Threads like this are a useful resource for those looking for advice on how to get certain jobs in the industry and any posts need to be constructive and useful and respectful.

If you don’t think that what you’ve typed falls into the above category then don’t bother posting it because it will be removed! :)
Think first, take a breath and then post please.

Thank you.

Nuttygooner

...and now, the waiting game starts.

Anyone fancy a Hob Nob? Why on earth is there no tea/coffee emoji? As a railway worker, I feel very attacked!

MeatAndTwoMeg

Indeed, long wait ahead for many of us I'm sure!

I do have a question though, if anyone would be so kind to assist. I have an active application with another TOC where I have passed the assessment centre and am waiting for an interview date. If I fail the MMI for the other TOC, do I have to withdraw my application to LNER?

Also, in the past I have failed the Group Bourdon at an assessment centre for a Tram Driver role. The assessment centre for this was different to the train driver one as it was comprised of fewer tests. However, I assume this still means that I have already used one of my two lives to apply - can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

Last edited:

Nuttygooner

I do have a question though, if anyone would be so kind to assist. I have an active application with another TOC where I have passed the assessment centre and am waiting for an interview date. If I fail the MMI for the other TOC, do I have to withdraw my application to LNER?
Not necessarily, if you fail the MMI, you need to wait another 6 months before resitting.

We don't know how long it will take for LNER to come back to you, it could be days, weeks, months, some folks get contacted a year or so afterwards. If you do not pass, and you do get contacted quickly, make them aware of it if it was taken within 6 months.

I have everything crossed for you!

Last edited:

MeatAndTwoMeg

Not necessarily, if you fail the MMI, you need to wait another 6 months before resitting.

We don't know how long it will take for LNER to come back to you, it could be days, weeks, months, some folks get contacted a year or so afterwards. If you do not pass, make them aware of it if it was taken within 6 months.

I have everything crossed for you!
Thank you for your helpful reply :)

Gareth90

I did my video interview for Leeds last week. I felt I did ok, it was just very strange talking to yourself and trying to hit all the relevant points for some questions was hard. Good luck to everyone who has made it this far.

NorthernTech

Also, in the past I have failed the Group Bourdon at an assessment centre for a Tram Driver role. The assessment centre for this was different to the train driver one as it was comprised of fewer tests. However, I assume this still means that I have already used one of my two lives to apply - can anyone confirm whether this is the case?
Are you going for MMI or DMI? If it’s the MMI then you will not be able to apply for any other driver position anywhere for the next 6 months and you will lose one of your two lives in regard to the psychometric test passing. Just so you know..

Emmsie

My video interview was awful. I'm happy with 3, borderline with 2 and 1 was an utter catastrophe. Raging at myself as 20 mins later I realised I had the perfect answer. Oh well, it'll probably be the same for others

MeatAndTwoMeg

Are you going for MMI or DMI? If it’s the MMI then you will not be able to apply for any other driver position anywhere for the next 6 months and you will lose one of your two lives in regard to the psychometric test passing. Just so you know..
Thank you, I have the DMI next but knew it the MMI would be one of my strikes.

slidingdoors

I had a similar situation, applied for 2 TOCs, however the applications and the process were almost identical time wise, so slightly different to your situation it sounds. Anyway the OPC picked up on it and said I had to choose one TOC to progress with. So it could happen to you in theory if you haven’t completed all the OPC tests (including MMI) yet.

MeatAndTwoMeg

I had a similar situation, applied for 2 TOCs, however the applications and the process were almost identical time wise, so slightly different to your situation it sounds. Anyway the OPC picked up on it and said I had to choose one TOC to progress with. So it could happen to you in theory if you haven’t completed all the OPC tests (including MMI) yet.
Oh interesting, I'll have a lot to think about if that's the case. Thank you

TreacleMiller

Out of interest, how long have the video stages been a thing? Covid related?

The video itself is very much like a cutdown MMI.

YingYing

Out of interest, how long have the video stages been a thing? Covid related?

The video itself is very much like a cutdown MMI.
I remember having to do a pre-recorded video interview for EMT (just before they become EMR) which was before covid. I think it's just another tool more companies are using to whittle the numbers down to manageable levels.

TreacleMiller

I remember having to do a pre-recorded video interview for EMT (just before they become EMR) which was before covid. I think it's just another tool more companies are using to whittle the numbers down to manageable levels.

Did you still go through the MMI and DMI?

YingYing

Did you still go through the MMI and DMI?
After the video interview we had a group interview with other candidates at Derby. I didn’t get past that stage. If I had, I would then have had to do the stage 2 psychometric tests which the MMI is at the end of.

I was just suggesting that it's a method that's been used since before covid hit.

TreacleMiller

After the video interview we had a group interview with other candidates at Derby. I didn’t get past that stage. If I had, I would then have had to do the stage 2 psychometric tests which the MMI is at the end of.

I was just suggesting that it's a method that's been used since before covid hit.

Thanks YingYing that's really good information. How long were your waiting between the video and the group interviews?

Almost certainly is one centralised team. Recruitment teams at most TOCs are not in very high numbers. This is partly why things can take months, even years.
Agreed.

I waited for 3 months post-medical for a start date and then everything from then was a blur for 12 months :D

Bigfilly

I came across the Ad for the role in Leeds and applied immediately. Managed to pass the 3 online tests and completed the video interview earlier this week.

The excitement for the possibility to be selected (very unlikely I know) is unbearable. I check my LNER account all day, even though I know I haven't received any emails.

Does anyone know how long the process takes to review video interviews and how long between the role being advertised and the apprenticeship begins?

Mjhayes123

I’ve completed the recorded interview last week - any ideas how long they take to get back to you ?

Which is half the reason I (and I suspect other users) was puzzled at the 20 Questions from some users about what kind of questions we get asked.

It's honestly pretty straightforward, we weren't lying when we were saying "just read the instructions and get on with it" :)

Everything crossed for you :E
Any idea how long they take to get back to us after submission

Last edited:

heedfan

Some advice, having been through this exact process, don't let it consume you. It is easy to fall into the trap of constantly checking emails etc. It will drive you mad. Try to get on with your life and put it out of your mind when you are waiting between stages.

AVTB

Invited to the "face to face" (via teams) interview today with a driver manager and/or HR type folk. Good luck all!

AVTB

Congratulations and the best to you. Encouraging that it's progressing at that sort of speed.
Cheers Treacle, I was surprised at the speed.

I can imagine it'll take them an awful lot of time to work through the videos so I'm sure it'll take much longer to send out the other interview invites.

Status
Not open for further replies.