• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Train Driver Apprentice - Leeds, York, Sheffield (23/12/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailLady

I suspect that the email that we have received will have been an automated one. With them just sending them out at various stages.

In terms of ordering them I also suspect if it's anything like what I had to do when previously working in HR (a long time ago) they will use pre-screening software to remove anyone that doesn't have the qualities they are looking for, for instance, blank or low wordcount competency stages, failed the psychometric testing and applying before the 6 month rule, remove the candidates with the lowest grades to keep a uniformity etc.

Once they have a number of applications that they consider what they are 'looking for' they will then start reviewing the applications. I would like to think in order of date of application but in truth, I think it will just be whichever they come to first.
Applications are looked from beginning to end by a person. Every single application is looked at and reviewed by the Recruitment team before any decisions are made to invite people to interview. The only computers they use are the ones to look at your application.

Maybe I am just being naive but I thought that an actual person would check most applications. Got to admit that I didn't think of pre-screening software. Assuming of course that the algorithm is there to only disregard applications with the optional questions unanswered. Then if a person goes through the applications giving priority to those with health/safety experience and academic qualifications, then it shouldn't take that long to narrow it down to a more reasonable number?
No computer software is used to screen people out.

Newapplicant

Applications are looked from beginning to end by a person. Every single application is looked at and reviewed by the Recruitment team before any decisions are made to invite people to interview. The only computers they use are the ones to look at your application.
Thank you very much for the clarification. ;)

RailLady

‘Not helpful’ to who? In what way is this information not helpful?? Not only is this very likely true, that the big employers need to sift the applications initially with some sort of software, as with sometimes thousands of applications, how else could they do it. So with Newapplicant letting others like yourself know this information is actually helpful for future applications. Spending some time reading around this forum will arm you with all sorts of helpful advice regarding all facets of railway recruitment, and knowing that a piece of software may be the first thing to see your application may make you reword it somewhat to pass the initial sift. IMO.
As mentioned, the only computers used, is the one to access the recruitment system. A person manually looks at each and every single application - even if we get over 800 people applying

LokiB

As mentioned, the only computers used, is the one to access the recruitment system. A person manually looks at each and every single application - even if we get over 800 people applying
It explains why the process can take a while. What an effort it must take to go through all of them.
I find it a difficult job to go through 10-20 applications in my current job so 800 must be unbelievably hard.
Hats off to you all in rail recruitment.

mattquk

No computer software is used to screen people out.
Thanks rail lady, always better to hear facts instead of guessed!

Raikkonen7

Anyone still waiting to hear back about Sheffield? I haven’t heard anything since submitting my application apart from the generic holding emails.

BBA82

Anybody successfully passed all trainee interview and psychometric tests but not given a start date yet for Northern (Hull)?

sheffBlue

Congrats all. Had mine earlier this week. Was in person not zoom as I originally thought

Newapplicant

Hi all,

Has anyone heard anything recently, just I notice the thread has quietened down.

My application is still showing 'application under consideration'. I guess no news is good news at the moment.

Gareth90

Hi all,

Has anyone heard anything recently, just I notice the thread has quietened down.

My application is still showing 'application under consideration'. I guess no news is good news at the mIoment.

I failed my assessment today. I failed on the group bourdon test to the enhanced standard required for Northern. I passed to industry standard but not the enhanced. Good luck to those going forward.

Newapplicant

I failed my assessment today. I failed on the group bourdon test to the enhanced standard required for Northern. I passed to industry standard but not the enhanced. Good luck to those going forward.
Genuinely sorry to hear that!

Owen2323

Sorry to hear that mate - if you've passed to National standard but not enhanced does that still mean you still have 2 lives left (I think it might.....)

NorthernTech

Sorry to hear that mate - if you've passed to National standard but not enhanced does that still mean you still have 2 lives left (I think it might.....)
Yes, two lives in tact but obviously the whole test suite still to do except Group Bourdon. How well do you think you did on the Bourdon to pass National but fail Enhanced?

Legion

I got an email saying that the York vacancy has been removed and all applications are not considered at all. As per Northern website I was supposed to be considered for all available vacancies (Leeds) but there was no mention of that.

Newapplicant

I got an email saying that the York vacancy has been removed and all applications are not considered at all. As per Northern website I was supposed to be considered for all available vacancies (Leeds) but there was no mention of that.
Might be a daft question but are you within the required 45 minutes from either Leeds or Sheffield as they may have considered that and terminated your application based on the possibility that you don't.

If you do live within the required 45 minutes then I'd email them and see what they have to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.