• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Apprentice 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

87 027

I'm sure that there's a lot that happens that we don't see, which will account for the fact that sometimes the decisions made seem a bit strange or unfair.

But according to Lord Sugar's autobiography he doesn't see any of the footage before deciding who to fire. He relies on what Karen and Nick tell him, plus the holes the candidates dig themselves into the boardroom...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not talking about what Lord Sugar sees or doesn't see, I;m talking about the footage that is shot that the viewers don't see.

For example, Katie didn't seem to do very much, but if it wasn't very interesting TV, then it will be elft on the cutting room floor. Sugar will still hear from Nick or Karen about what they saw and heard her do, but the viewer will be left in the dark, because th tension between Mark and Daniel makes for better telly.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well that was a complete travesty of justice ......

James was an idiot but surely had more potential than Sanjay who should have been fired as well.

However there existed on the other team a weak, indecisive, complete clown by the name of Felipe who was allegedly leader but showed very little sign in terms of achieving anything. Did anyone notice he did not take part in the "Boxing Reward" - wimp :roll:

His days are surely numbered. :p

Eng274

I thought James was well deserved for a firing, his treatment of Roisin was shocking, and covering up the failure to secure the hot tubs to the team was cringeworthy. Overall the calibre of candidates this year has been poor from what's been broadcast, which might be a skewed reflection on reality. A lot of focus on the irritating bickering between the candidates, compared to the actual task I think.

Will I keep watching? Probably, for the same reason people don't want to watch a train wreck but can't look away. The final interviews will be hilarious.

Oswyntail

Established Member
However there existed on the other team a weak, indecisive, complete clown by the name of Felipe who was allegedly leader but showed very little sign in terms of achieving anything. Did anyone notice he did not take part in the "Boxing Reward" - wimp :roll:....
This was the first episode I had watched through, so coming to it without any pre-conceptions. What I saw was Felipe acting as a team leader who knew what he wanted to achieve, and how and with whom he would achieve it. He stood up to the appalling bullying the other chap handed out, and insisted that the right person went on the items that would win or lose the task. The thirty seconds of boxing concentrated on the girl (novelty value) and the two antagonists.
If James has been as much of a downright prat all series, I am astounded he was still there. But worse is the hint that both Sugar and the other guy seemed to think he "had something" other than bullying immaturity without a hint of brain or, actually, self-belief.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Glad James has gone, he was shocking this week (the confusion of names was the epitome of that). He's been a dead man walking for about three episodes now, and as much as I think Lord Sugar could see potential (and Nick actually said something pleasant for the first time in a decade) in him I don't think he would have held up against the likes of Roisin and Mark when push came to shove. The way especially he spoke to and treated Roisin on this task was infuriating. He won't be missed.

Also, why does it matter if Felipe did or did not do the boxing and why does that make him a wimp? :roll: It's his choice what he does or doesn't do, and I actually find his Mr. Nice Guy attitude deeply refreshing and really likable.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
James was an idiot but surely had more potential than Sanjay who should have been fired as well.

It is better to remain silent and to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

James was rightly fired, the hot tubs were clearly the key to the task this week and he blew it by listening to nothing but the sound of his own voice. I was surprised he was fired, though, as I genuinely thought the producers would have kept him on just for the entertainment value in the interview stage.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It is better to remain silent and to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

James was rightly fired, the hot tubs were clearly the key to the task this week and he blew it by listening to nothing but the sound of his own voice. I was surprised he was fired, though, as I genuinely thought the producers would have kept him on just for the entertainment value in the interview stage.

I'm sure the only reason James managed to avoid being fired the last three or four weeks was by cleverly managing to be on the winning team despite being a clown. Wonder what would have happened on the other team if Daniel rather than Mark had been allowed to sell hot tubs - suspect a lot fewer would have been sold. Daniel can't work with anyone it seems and must surely be due for the chop anytime now. Felipe made entirely the right decision there and his team leadership should be commended. My last three would be Roisin, Mark and either Felipe or Bianca.

Spamcan81

My partner is in recruiting and she views The Apprentice as more of a comedy. Especially this year with the collection of numpties on view. In the past she had one client apply for a position where the description stated clearly "design engineer". Part way through the interview she said that the job probably wasn't for him. "But I've won The Apprentice in the past" and fair enough, he had. He then went on to say "but I don't do design." Ok chum, why did you apply for a job as a design engineer then? Makes you wonder how he ever won it.

CC 72100

Established Member
Glad James has gone, he was shocking this week (the confusion of names was the epitome of that). He's been a dead man walking for about three episodes now, and as much as I think Lord Sugar could see potential (and Nick actually said something pleasant for the first time in a decade) in him I don't think he would have held up against the likes of Roisin and Mark when push came to shove. The way especially he spoke to and treated Roisin on this task was infuriating. He won't be missed.

Also, why does it matter if Felipe did or did not do the boxing and why does that make him a wimp? :roll: It's his choice what he does or doesn't do, and I actually find his Mr. Nice Guy attitude deeply refreshing and really likable.

Agree wholeheartedly - James lost the plot completely in this task, showed no regard for the team he was leading throughout and when going against his team advice with comments like "yeah but I'm the project manager and it's what I want to do isn't it?" showed that either he wasn't thinking straight anymore (power gone to his head?!) or that he was even more of an idiot we all thought he was.

Thought too that Kate - not a candidate who gets much of a mention - did well last tonight.

Butts

Veteran Member
Is the "cars will be there in 20 minutes" really genuine in the Morning ?

How do they get coiffured so quickly, especially the women :p

Phirstman

Latecomer to this thread but my views on where we're at:

20 candidates - Mixed views. Double/triple firings added an interesting dimension but the vast numbers of candidates at the start made the show very tricky to get into early on.

Tasks - The tour-bus task felt like a waste of a week and I wasn't overly impressed with the board game task either (it's 2014 not 1996). A few Apprentice classics coming out now though with this weeks just gone and next weeks 'find and buy this product at the cheapest price' - my favourite other than interview week!

Final five? I'd go Mark, Katie, Solomon, Roisin and Sanjay (distant fifth).

The other three:

Daniel: Far too brash with management style and despite claiming to be a good salesman he doesn't appear to be. Should've gone before now.

Bianca: Has had some good moments but has made too many naive mistakes - can't see Lord Sugar holding onto her much longer.

Felipe: Hasn't contributed an awful lot to the process other than entertainment purposes for the show. Also Lord Sugar dislikes the lawyer types.

I'd made the final five prediction to workmates before yesterday's episode so got yesterday's correct - James was too much of a loose cannon and I was surprised he got such a warm send off.

Qwerty133

Established Member
If it was built maybe, but the 107cm rope would also have to have been counted as that could be made into 1m than that skeleton being built

IanD

Established Member
I've watched this show for 5 series and I have never been so angry at a decision until today. That was absolute genius locating the paper skeleton, there was nothing in the specifications that said it had to be made out of specific materials. Lord Sugar, you are a cockwomble. <(<(<(

It's all about the specification. You get what you specify. If that's how he specifies his component requirements it's no wonder Amstrad computers were a pile of cack.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The spec was simply:

Full-sized anatomical skeleton
Minimum 150cm tall

I would be extremely annoyed if I got fired based off that. Still, anything that exposes Sugar as the mug he is is alas probably worth it.

Searle

Established Member
The spec was simply:

I would be extremely annoyed if I got fired based off that. Still, anything that exposes Sugar as the mug he is is alas probably worth it.

Well, technically, it wasn't 150cm tall, it was flat. If they had actually made it however!

Still, I'm just pleased none of my favourites (Roisin/Bianca/Solomon) haven't gone! Would have preferred Dan to go but oh well.

Butts

Veteran Member
The spec was simply:

I agree that was another travesty of justice. It was so good to see Jason's Team all co-operating only for it all to fall apart.

From those eligible he fired the correct candidate - Felipe.

However Sanjay escaped again and my old buddy Solomon sneaked through as part of the winning team.

Highlight of the show Roisin in her pyjamas - can we have a nightie next time please :p

Oswyntail

Established Member
It's all about the specification. You get what you specify. If that's how he specifies his component requirements it's no wonder Amstrad computers were a pile of cack.
Exactly - though the first step should have been absolute clarification of the spec. I wonder if items like the nigella seeds and scallops were as precisely specified.
What I would have liked to have seen was one of the "Skeleton crew" telling Sugar what a specification means, and really arguing back. That would have been excellent television.

Spamcan81

I thing Lord Sugar was miffed that someone outthought him. The paper skelton was a stroke of genius IMO and as Felipe said, quite rightly, nowhere in the task specification did it say of what the skeleton should be made nor that it should be assembled fully. I wonder what would have happened had Felipe's team managed to have assembled it before going to the boardroom. The team should have told Sugar in no uncertain terms what was specified but they were too busy trying to distance themselves from poor old Felipe.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
What was specified, as far as I could tell, was a human skeleton, 150 cm minimum height.

A human skeleton, not a model of a human skeleton :p

IanD

Established Member
A human rather than an elephant, dog, cat or wildebeest.

What they brought back quite clearly said on the packet "Human Skeleton".

My opinion is that Sugar was being an arris because he didn't like being outwitted. Simple as.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
What was specified, as far as I could tell, was a human skeleton, 150 cm minimum height.

A human skeleton, not a model of a human skeleton :p

You really think the other team's skeleton was a real one - i.e. not a model?

I am inclined to agree with the post above this one. Sugar was outsmarted by Felipe and he didn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.