• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Come on, you don't expect them to take the easy and simple option now do you!

I suppose advantage the ex EC sets would have had would have also been the fitment of the seat reservation system. Not that, in the current climate, it's needed. And now heading for the bin after what, less than a year, of fitment?
Yes, on paper it looked like a good idea. It may even have been that DfT people had been on an LNER set (to Barnard Castle maybe?) and never been to eg Sheffield so drew conclusions on that basis.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

They were still determined to outshop one set in EMR livery, I wonder if they're doing this one.

To what purpose? I could certainly understand them having done that earlier, but seems a waste of time and money now.

WesternLancer

Established Member
They were still determined to outshop one set in EMR livery, I wonder if they're doing this one.
Good call - if you only have one decent quality type of train in your fleet - and the only decent type you are ever going to have - you may as well celebrate that! :D

I expect a marketing person would say it pays dividends by "showcasing the quality of the brand"

LowLevel

Established Member
I would imagine someone who works for the company might have a fairly good idea what the company plans to do.

If you're referring to me it is simply a guess on my part without specific knowledge - as of a few weeks ago they were still keen to put one set in the outgoing livery but that may have been pre the cull that happened at the weekend.

Quite happy to stand corrected in this case!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
If the DfT can agree dispensations for PRM compliance, then something similar could be done for SDO.

All the alternatives to what has actually been done would have been easier. As usual, DfT took the most stupid and expensive option.

PRM is up to DfT to derogate. SDO is up to the ORR and it’s been clear one a vehicle looses its grandfather rights that is it. Safety isn’t so easy (rightly) to dispense against.

On Moderation
PRM is up to DfT to derogate. SDO is up to the ORR and it’s been clear one a vehicle looses its grandfather rights that is it. Safety isn’t so easy (rightly) to dispense against.
Fit the existing EMR sets with SDO then, still a lot easier and cheaper than what has been done.

Domh245

Established Member
Fit the existing EMR sets with SDO then, still a lot easier and cheaper than what has been done.

I dare say the cheapest solution, particularly with the benefit of hindsight & knowing what we know now about the collapse in demand, would have been individual for each passenger unable to be fully accommodated on the existing rakes! Hell, even going by the original schedules (which would have seen all HST gone by end of last year IIRC?) it'd have probably been cheaper to taxi passengers than retrofitting SDO?

On Moderation
I dare say the cheapest solution, particularly with the benefit of hindsight & knowing what we know now about the collapse in demand, would have been individual for each passenger unable to be fully accommodated on the existing rakes! Hell, even going by the original schedules (which would have seen all HST gone by end of last year IIRC?) it'd have probably been cheaper to taxi passengers than retrofitting SDO?
The SDO mod on slam door HSTs is actually pretty straight-forward. It's a fairly straight forward depot mod - it needs modified CDL panels and a wiring change.

I seem to have lost track.... I’ve got the latest weekday diagrams (I think, just the 2?), but are there any Saturday workings?

Killingworth

Established Member
I seem to have lost track.... I’ve got the latest weekday diagrams (I think, just the 2?), but are there any Saturday workings?
Quoted from EMR Stakeholder briefing issued this afternoon.

"Services running with HSTs
– Many of you will be aware that the formation changes made to the Intercity services sees less HSTs being used across our network. This is good news from an accessibility point of view, as you will know, but I do appreciate that the retirement of this fleet is something that is of great interest to rail enthusiasts and that these units are an institution. Please find below the services for which HSTs will be running so that if it suits with your daily exercise, you may be able to spot one as you walk past.
The services are: 0519 Leeds – London. 0634 Leeds – London. 1434 London – Nottingham. 1534 London – Nottingham. 1645 Nottingham – London. 1745 Nottingham – London. 1904 London – Leeds. 2001 London – Leeds."

Established Member
No diagrams on Saturday's as no Leeds services. This Sunday looks like two diagrams.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
When Saturday diagrams return (assuming this is before the May change), will they be HST operated?

Bluntly the railway is facing up to facts the WTT December timetable is unlikely to return. There’s talk of at best some minor easing of restrictions as we head towards Easter, the current train services are largely carting around fresh air, the MML is not different to this. The current train service will more than easily deal with any limited restriction easing without needing a return to the previous WTT.

Many TOCs planning teams are busy descoping May 2021.....

WesternLancer

Established Member
No diagrams on Saturday's as no Leeds services. This Sunday looks like two diagrams.
Sat diagrams in on sat 30th by the looks of it - 2 departs from Leeds in the morning then operate all day seem to be on real time trains- so it varies by looks of it.

sometimes it seems - check real times trains departures from Leeds in the morning - note services going to St Pancras with EM in operator column. There are not many so quite east to spot if any in. This sunday there are HSTs diverted via Manton/Corby I think.

When Saturday diagrams return (assuming this is before the May change), will they be HST operated?
not quite clear what you mean. HSTs operate some services on some Saturdays by the looks of it.

Last edited:

Established Member
Sat diagrams in on sat 30th by the looks of it - 2 departs from Leeds in the morning then operate all day seem to be on real time trains- so it varies by looks of it.

sometimes it seems - check real times trains departures from Leeds in the morning - note services going to St Pancras with EM in operator column. There are not many so quite east to spot if any in. This sunday there are HSTs diverted via Manton/Corby I think.

not quite clear what you mean. HSTs operate some services on some Saturdays by the looks of it.
It probably depends on engineering works when they are out at the weekend. This is from the EMR website regarding which services are being removed from the base timetable from the 18th:
Saturdays
0633 London St Pancras to York will not run
0835 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1034 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1334 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1534 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1834 London St Pancras to Leeds will not run
2002 London St Pancras to Leeds will not run
1705 London St Pancras to Lincoln will not run between Nottingham and Lincoln

0612 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
0745 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1045 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1245 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1545 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1745 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1750 York to London St Pancras will not run
2045 Lincoln to Nottingham will not run
0645 Leeds to London St Pancras will not run between Leeds and Nottingham
0740 Leeds to London St Pancras will not run between Leeds and Nottingham

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was basing my question off the message below
ah thanks for explaining! All the best

It probably depends on engineering works when they are out at the weekend. This is from the EMR website regarding which services are being removed from the base timetable from the 18th:
Saturdays
0633 London St Pancras to York will not run
0835 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1034 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1334 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1534 London St Pancras to Nottingham will not run
1834 London St Pancras to Leeds will not run
2002 London St Pancras to Leeds will not run
1705 London St Pancras to Lincoln will not run between Nottingham and Lincoln

0612 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
0745 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1045 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1245 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1545 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1745 Nottingham to London St Pancras will not run
1750 York to London St Pancras will not run
2045 Lincoln to Nottingham will not run
0645 Leeds to London St Pancras will not run between Leeds and Nottingham
0740 Leeds to London St Pancras will not run between Leeds and Nottingham
Thanks - handy link too.

DB

That would be my guess as well.

Does seem likely - there are basically only three realistic options anyway: original blue/yellow, Swallow or EMR. They wouldn't paint it in a previous post-BR livery as that's just not the done thing, and Intecity Exective doesn't seem a popular livery.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Meanwhile on a side note, I'm told 156414 and 156415 are running the Corby - Kettering shuttles today vice a 5 car class 222.

spotify95

Meanwhile on a side note, I'm told 156414 and 156415 are running the Corby - Kettering shuttles today vice a 5 car class 222.
Didn't know this - surprised that EMR would run two coupled up 156s to replace a 222 from Kettering to Corby. Though having said that, the slow lines up to Corby are not anywhere near 125mph rated so I doubt there'd be much of a performance difference between a 222, 43 or 156 there.

That got me thinking: if EMR really did need to retire the HSTs, given the current situation with the pandemic, EMR could just run a Bedford-Wellingborough-Kettering-Corby shuttle service on the slows using 156s or 158s, which would align nicely with the Thameslink services from Bedford south. That would then release 222s to cover any gaps.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Didn't know this - surprised that EMR would run two coupled up 156s to replace a 222 from Kettering to Corby. Though having said that, the slow lines up to Corby are not anywhere near 125mph rated so I doubt there'd be much of a performance difference between a 222, 43 or 156 there.

That got me thinking: if EMR really did need to retire the HSTs, given the current situation with the pandemic, EMR could just run a Bedford-Wellingborough-Kettering-Corby shuttle service on the slows using 156s or 158s, which would align nicely with the Thameslink services from Bedford south. That would then release 222s to cover any gaps.
That would trash the lucrative first class market on the route...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.