• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Emergency Alert Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
“Android 11 or later”
That article also says:
If you have an earlier version of Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your device settings for ‘emergency alerts’.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think we should be able to select the sound our devices make for these alerts, I say this because even though my hearing is good as is that of a lot of people, there may be people who's hearing is very sensitive and the sound could possibly be quite piercing and hurt their ears.

I hope allowing us to select a sound ourselves will be something the government could consider

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Received loud and clear on all suitable phones in the house. Not as loud or annoying as I was expecting. I would have preferred a different accent for the spoken message.
The phone went back to working normally straight after, that is, without me having to cancel the alert message first.

Now I expect to never hear it again unless it really is a matter of life and death.

gg1

Established Member
That article also says:

If you have an earlier version of Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your device settings for ‘emergency alerts’.

Unfortunately that guidance is wrong.

Just checked, there is no option for activating emergency alerts in my device settings. Google gave the correct guidance which is to open your messaging app then amend the settings from there.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I was completely unaware this was happening... however a couple of weeks ago I started a new smart monitoring system for my Type One diabetes in which my phone bleeps very loudly if my blood sugar is too high or low. When I heard a similarly loud, but different tone it did startle me for a moment!

PeterY

Established Member
Neither me or my friend got an alert. Neither of us have a "smart" phone. Am I worried.... not really :D

Wearhead

According to the BBC it went out on 4G and 5G only. Tough for large parts of Cumbria, the North Pennines, the Scottish Borders and most of the Highlands.
Fortunately nobody lives there. :s

philosopher

Established Member
Received loud and clear on all suitable phones in the house. Not as loud or annoying as I was expecting. I would have preferred a different accent for the spoken message.
The phone went back to working normally straight after, that is, without me having to cancel the alert message first.

Now I expect to never hear it again unless it really is a matter of life and death.
Given it failed to appear on Three networked phones, I suspect there will be another test some point this year, so you probably will hear it again.

RichJF

Turned off the "emergency alerts" settings on my Android 11 phone. Remain in blissful, happy ignorance.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Got it at 1459, tone was very annoying and loud. From the few seconds a let it sound before cancelling it seemed like they just cribbed the US Emergency Alert System attention tone (which is designed to be unpleasant so as to attract attention):

It basically is an implementation of the US system as that's already on phones. A key difference is that the UK only uses two levels, in the US presidential alerts are a higher level and can't be disabled.

Spoken message? I didn't get a spoken message.

Snow1964

Established Member
Was visiting friends near Cardiff, went off at 14:59 with a message in Welsh, with an English message below which was only visible when scrolled down.

Heard some go off minute or two later.

Senex

Established Member

Clear but not particularly loud for me -- and almost a minute before 3 pm. Like you, I'd have preferred a different accent. If they deliberately wanted a non-English accent, why couldn't they have chosen a Scottish one (or Irish, as long as it was Dublin, not Belfast). Or did they just go for the cheapest US machine-speak?

najaB

Veteran Member
Spoken message? I didn't get a spoken message.
Nor did I. Perhaps it is a phone-specific thing, by which I mean that the phone reads out the text.
The spoken message is an option you have to turn on. For Android (go to settings and then search wireless emergency alerts.) It would use the default text to speech voice on your phone.
You were posting at the same time as me.

I thought as much. Which means that the "cheapest US machine-speak" is the fault of phone's owner, rather than the Government. :D

brad465

Established Member
I was on a GWR service pulling into Reading when it happened, and almost all the carriage got it at 14:59. While there clearly are many improvements to be had, isn't the whole point of a test to find these faults and then they can be rectified?

najaB

Veteran Member
While there clearly are many improvements to be had, isn't the whole point of a test to find these faults and then they can be rectified?
Indeed, that is the point.
I was on a GWR service pulling into Reading when it happened, and almost all the carriage got it at 14:59.
For what it's worth, I don't know that I would consider receiving the alert a minute before/after the time it was supposed to have been sent as a fault. It could just as easily be that the person who pushed the button was a little eager.

Ediswan

Established Member
The spoken message is an option you have to turn on. For Android go to settings and then search wireless emergency alerts. It would use the default text to speech voice on your phone.
This looks like another aspect where behaviour may vary. I got the spoken message. I don't have a speech-specfic option.

Steddenm

According to a news report on ITV News some 3 customers didn't get the alert, others got it twice or three times, not all devices synced at the same time to get the alert (hence the alarms going at the Crucible at odd times), and people in crowded areas didn't hear it.

It came through on my phone (S23 Ultra) but my Galaxy Watch (also on the 4G network) didn't get it, nor did my Samsung tablet which has 5G capability and was connected to the network at the time.

Work colleagues are saying that they didn't get it when connected to WiFi in the building but did as soon as the WiFi came off.

I'm in Belfast at the moment and quite impressed that roaming handsets (I live in RoI) also received the message, however those on UK SIM cards in the RoI didn't get the alert or those on the IoM or Channel Islands

AM9

Veteran Member
a very loud siren, not a barely audible bleeping - and the phone was right next to me!
Ah, you criterion for a climax is at least relevant. I suspect that the volume set for this test was:
a) loud enough for most recipients to hear,
yet
b) not loud enough to trigger complaints, (fabricated or genuine) but adequate to indicate whether it was necessary to increase the level in an actual emergency event.

Mobile phones have

Why are you asking me, it was someone else who said it was an anti-climax.
Ooops, apologies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I didn't get it, although at 3pm I was somewhere around Whaley Bridge on the bus. My data connections were awful up there!

Equally, I use Three so there's clearly an issue there. I'd completely forgot it was happening to be honest!

MotCO

Established Member
Indeed, that is the point.

For what it's worth, I don't know that I would consider receiving the alert a minute before/after the time it was supposed to have been sent as a fault. It could just as easily be that the person who pushed the button was a little eager.

I wonder what the capacity of the mobile networks is to send a message simulatneously to all mobile phone users. I recall that at New Year's Eve when everyone tries to send messages at midnight, the system could not cope and messages were delayed.

Meerkat

Established Member
I'm in Belfast at the moment and quite impressed that roaming handsets (I live in RoI) also received the message, however those on UK SIM cards in the RoI didn't get the alert or those on the IoM or Channel Islands
AIUI the system doesn't choose, or even know, who it goes out to within a cell - it goes out to every SIM connected to the cell towers that are told to broadcast it.
This means they can send it to a localised area without needing to know who is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.