• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry - Apprentice Train Drivers (08/12/22)

LST

I presume the next stage is the assessment centre - any tips for it or what to expect?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JimClark

Can anyone advise what the pay Progression figures are for trainee drivers at Cross country and also what the salary is for fully qualified say after 2 years? I've read that cross country and Avanti pay a higher rate than other TOCs but haven't seen any figures published for cross country.

JJ4

Can anyone advise what the pay Progression figures are for trainee drivers at Cross country and also what the salary is for fully qualified say after 2 years? I've read that cross country and Avanti pay a higher rate than other TOCs but haven't seen any figures published for cross country.
Have a screenshot from a different thread from 2021, so this may now be out of date. Take with a pinch of salt:

£28,400 trainee new entrant
£37,700 competent after training school (approximately 35 weeks)
£54,900 fully qualified driver with core routes and traction. This then rises in increments to £65,000 by the 3rd year.

JimClark

Have a screenshot from a different thread from 2021, so this may now be out of date. Take with a pinch of salt:

£28,400 trainee new entrant
£37,700 competent after training school (approximately 35 weeks)
£54,900 fully qualified driver with core routes and traction. This then rises in increments to £65,000 by the 3rd year.
That's great thanks for sharing. Interesting to compare with the other TOCs

Wyrleybart

Established Member
That's great thanks for sharing. Interesting to compare with the other TOCs
Don't forget that T&Cs will vary from TOC to TOC. The former Virgin TOCs saw drivers receive particularly high salaries well over a decade ago in exchange for agreements other TOCs wouldn't consider. Also, the ex Virgin TOCs started out mostly as a week of RDs every five weeks, rather than "long weekend every three". XC has much difference now compared to pre 2007, simply because the Ex Central trains links brought their "long weekend every three" with them, but allowed personal changes.

Jakb200

Hi Folks, I had my DMI for the Birmingham depot yesterday. Does anyone how long XC generally take to give you the DMI result? I have already passed my OPC tests to enhanced with another TOC. Good luck to all of you with your applications!

JimClark

Hi Folks, I had my DMI for the Birmingham depot yesterday. Does anyone how long XC generally take to give you the DMI result? I have already passed my OPC tests to enhanced with another TOC. Good luck to all of you with your applications!
Congrats on the DMI!! I'm still waiting to hear from XC for my DMI for bham. Has anyone else on hear heard back? Bow long ago did they contact you? Was is via phone?

tedbaker

Think the official line was 7-10 days, but was told to expect a call within 48 hours. Ended up getting called the next day.

Bear in mind that was for a depot with only two vacancies though, might be a bit different for Birmingham!

Jakb200

Congrats on the DMI!! I'm still waiting to hear from XC for my DMI for bham. Has anyone else on hear heard back? Bow long ago did they contact you? Was is via phone?
They contacted me a few weeks ago by phone to organise a day and time and confirmed by email. Hopefully you hear soon!

Think the official line was 7-10 days, but was told to expect a call within 48 hours. Ended up getting called the next day.

Bear in mind that was for a depot with only two vacancies though, might be a bit different for Birmingham!
Sounds promising for a bit sooner than the official line but they had several dates to pick from this week so I assume it’ll take a bit longer than it did for yourself!

Thank you for the response

Last edited:

TEK2021

If it is to start in 2023 you should hear soon, the only 2 training dates left this year are both in June :)

JimClark

Just received a rejection email from XC for Bham application. Frustrating to say the least considering I've already passed all the OPC assesment centre tests. Oh well onwards and upwards....

Jakb200

Just received a rejection email from XC for Bham application. Frustrating to say the least considering I've already passed all the OPC assesment centre tests. Oh well onwards and upwards....
Sorry to hear that mate. Good luck for future applications!

Slow Seline

Hi

I applied for Edinburgh on 13th December, and have heard nothing back so far. My online status still says ’Application In Progress’, for the post.

Should I keep waiting, or is almost 4 months too long to hear nothing back? Maybe I should email their HR?

Aviator88

Hi

I applied for Edinburgh on 13th December, and have heard nothing back so far. My online status still says ’Application In Progress’, for the post.

Should I keep waiting, or is almost 4 months too long to hear nothing back? Maybe I should email their HR?

Hey,

The one thing I've never been 'proactive' with is chasing up HR in the period between initial application and final stage (whatever that may be). The funny thing about the railway - and it's alien to most people, myself included - is the sheer lengths of time involved in recruitment, where your application can lay dormant for months, even years, then suddenly be awoken.

It truly is 'no news is good news' in this industry, or in other words, until you get the sad Email, you're in the game!

Slow Seline

Hey,

The one thing I've never been 'proactive' with is chasing up HR in the period between initial application and final stage (whatever that may be). The funny thing about the railway - and it's alien to most people, myself included - is the sheer lengths of time involved in recruitment, where your application can lay dormant for months, even years, then suddenly be awoken.

It truly is 'no news is good news' in this industry, or in other words, until you get the sad Email, you're in the game!
Thanks. I’ll sit tight for now then.

Timmnta

Just had the good news that I’ve passed my DMI for Birmingham and would be looking at a June start. I’ve already passed my OPC testing so hopefully it’ll just be a medical.

JJ4

Just had the good news that I’ve passed my DMI for Birmingham and would be looking at a June start. I’ve already passed my OPC testing so hopefully it’ll just be a medical.
Also had the good news that I'll be starting in June pending a medical. I'll see you on the course, mate. Congratulations :D