• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Redhilllink

Doea anyone know the work a bottom link new entrant driver does at Barnham? A GWR driver is thinking ofa move
I believe they sign: Barnham - Pompey, Bognor, Littlehampton, Arun Valley up to Gatwick. And across to Brighton platforms 1-3 only. Some bottom link drivers sign via the Cliftonville spur to Gatwick, but not all. No Barnham men go into Lovers any more. Brighton is the best depot for routes.

Vola_c

Hey everybody
I received the GTR-1 SJT test email today. I was wondering if anyone could give any clues about the format of the test? Went through some threads but I didn't manage to find something definitive.

Any help is much appreciated
Make sure you take your time and really think about your answers. Best of luck. I'm doing the stage after that next

Joe-7

Hey everybody
I received the GTR-1 SJT test email today. I was wondering if anyone could give any clues about the format of the test? Went through some threads but I didn't manage to find something definitive.

Any help is much appreciated
Hello mate good luck! , how was the test was it complicated??

Got an invitation to sit a SJT for Southern so check your emails.
Hello mate Did you do the SJT? How was it ???

UnknownG

A friend of mine who works for southern says that the brighton depot is really short on drivers. Anyone think they could get redirected to there rather than the site first advertised?
Im also waiting on a reply after putting in my application on the 8th december

Bn98

when did you apply? I applied in December but I am yet to get a response
I really wouldn't worry yet at this stage! Some have heard within days, some are taking months. Railways are notorious for not exactly being the most swift with applications, and fairly so - a vast amount of applications to get through! You certainly aren't alone in not hearing yet, loads of us haven't! No news is good news... I'm fairly sure GTR tend to email or update the online portal either way so just keep an eye out :)

Bonm

Hello mate good luck! , how was the test was it complicated??

Hello mate Did you do the SJT? How was it ???
@Joe-7 Just finished it. It was as @Chuchu said above. First section is personality traits (strongly agree to strongly disagree) like if you like working under close supervision, attention to detail etc. Then company questions (True/False) when Go ahead was founded etc and then fictional situations in which you have to rate your responds from first to last. Best of luck.

Make sure you take your time and really think about your answers. Best of luck. I'm doing the stage after that next
Noted Good luck to you as well!

Last edited:

Chuchu

I did not, but my advice would be for you to do as they say. It might work on a tablet or phone, but considering how high the stakes are, why risk it ? Good luck with your test ! :D

Choochoo89

How long is the usual response from the situational judgement? It said 10 days but others seem to be getting it quicker...

SpamHammer

How long is the usual response from the situational judgement? It said 10 days but others seem to be getting it quicker...
As others have said, consider no news to be good news. There is no such thing as 'usual' response time. Keep half an eye on your email. Sit back, chill out, carry on with your life.

PlayerOne

Morning, I applied on the 8th December and still haven’t received a reply. I applied for Thameslink. Any one else in the same situation ?

Ian92

Applied for southern on the 13/12/2020 and still nothing so just keep fingers crossed and hope for the best

Ian92

Yh pretty **** I’ve passed the mainline driver assessment as well but didn’t help me. But like I say good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back

Stigy

Established Member
Yh pretty **** I’ve passed the mainline driver assessment as well but didn’t help me. But like I say good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back
Sorry to hear. With so many applicants for every intake, it’s literally the luck of the draw sometimes, and no reflection on your application. Good luck for next time!

Ian92

I know I think it’s safe to say there a lot chasing their dream career and knowing you’ve passed the driver assessment thinking your one step closer. But will add it all to experience of the application process

Quin79

Sorry to hear. With so many applicants for every intake, it’s literally the luck of the draw sometimes, and no reflection on your application. Good luck for next time!
Surely it has to be on merit and strength of the applications and not luck of the draw, unless you know differently?

Stigy

Established Member
Surely it has to be on merit and strength of the applications and not luck of the draw, unless you know differently?
Of course applicants are scored on merit, but if you have say, 60 jobs available and a couple of thousand applicants, there will almost certainly be a large element of luck involved. There’s more than likely a lot of applicants who would score almost identically at interview and tick all the right competency boxes on the application form, but the fact remains there’s far far fewer jobs, than there are applicants. It often comes down to how far a person lives from the depot, or how well the hiring manager thinks they will integrate in to their team (for example, if someone lives borderline 1 hour from depot and another lives 20 mins away, but they’re both identical in terms of interview/application, then it makes sense to offer the job to the one who lives closer to depot).

ninhog

I done it on my iPad I had no problems
One of the key qualities they’re looking for is the ability to follow instructions. Your application will have device information linked to it, so you may have shot yourself in the foot with the application.

Fahim

Hi all, I've seen a few people have got emails to complete their SJT tests, wondering what date you applied? I submitted my southern application on the 10/12/20. Waiting game is becoming a tad tedious...

Chuchu

Hi all, I've seen a few people have got emails to complete their SJT tests, wondering what date you applied? I submitted my southern application on the 10/12/20. Waiting game is becoming a tad tedious...
I've submitted on the 7th and I have received a SJT invitation from Southern, but I am still to hear from Great Northern, so keep on waiting and good luck ! ;)

Fahim

I've submitted on the 7th and I have received a SJT invitation from Southern, but I am still to hear from Great Northern, so keep on waiting and good luck ! ;)
Ah okay, thanks for letting me know, good luck with your SJT!