• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What number is this bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
This bus starts at Piccadilly Gardens, and runs 6 trips for the full route in a week, in one direction only. There is a much more frequent service running both ways to a place along the route. It is operated by Stagecoach Manchester.

This is just making sure that the clue is visible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm going to give another clue. It departs from the Parker Street side of Piccailly Gardens
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The 6 trips referred to in the original clue bypass 1 bus station, and terminate at a different one. The bus station that is bypassed by these trips is the usual terminus for journeys of this route number

gnolife

Established Member
Not 220 - that doesn't go from Parker St. Parker St is buses towards Bolton, Wigan, Leigh, and places on the Wilmslow Road corridor and West of in South Manchester.

gnolife

Established Member
I've given up on getting an answer for this.
The correct answer was Stagecoach Manchester's Nightbus 86 Piccadilly Gardens to Altrincham, The bus station bypassed is Chorlton.

Statto

Established Member
I've given up on getting an answer for this.
The correct answer was Stagecoach Manchester's Nightbus 86 Piccadilly Gardens to Altrincham, The bus station bypassed is Chorlton.

Don't think anyone would have got that, as a few of us were thinking of non Night only routes.

Established Member
Ill have a go then....

It Starts in Exeter
After Leaving the City it follows the same road to its final Destination (Unless one of the Variants)
It has 3 Variants

Deerfold

Veteran Member
We're starting with a route outside Yorkshire with a terminus in Nottingham.

The route was started to replace a withdrawn rail service.

Some trips have a lettered suffix which does not denote a route variation but the type of bus used.

Ivo

Established Member
I seem to recall from another that the 1 was highlighted for something like this? Would that be the answer?

clagmonster

Established Member
I can see nothing convenient on the routes page of the NCT website. However, there are two short runs in the service 1 timetable shown as 1A with a footnote that they are operated by exact fare buses so I think Ivo could be on to something. The route also seems to mirror the former GC to Loughborough.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes, Ivo is correct. The 1 was a replacement for the GCR between Nottingham and Loughborough. For a long time it ran every 15 minutes. Recently it had been cut back to half-hourly finishing fairly early but extra short runs have been added during the day and at night since the NCT skylink was withdrawn.

The route is run with South Notts-liveried buses except for the 1A which have standard NCT buses and thus need exact change.

Ivo

Established Member
This route, which has at least one terminus in the City of Brighton & Hove, runs to a frequency rarely seen outside of major cities. It is known for one of its variations being more frequent than the main route, although it must be said that said variation is probably sufficiently different to justify its own number. It shares its number with a London route that is famous for several reasons, including among others its number.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
This route, which has at least one terminus in the City of Brighton & Hove, runs to a frequency rarely seen outside of major cities. It is known for one of its variations being more frequent than the main route, although it must be said that said variation is probably sufficiently different to justify its own number.

5? With the 5B being the variant.

It shares its number with a London route that is famous for several reasons, including among others its number.

That doesn't narrow it down much!

Ivo

Established Member
The 5 is correct. London's 5 is famous for being the only route with a number of less than 20 that does not enter Zone 1.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The 5 is correct. London's 5 is famous for being the only route with a number of less than 20 that does not enter Zone 1.

And having the route 87 stuck on the end of it :)

New One:

Let's stay in London.

This bus service runs every 6 minutes during the day but in the morning peak is almost twice as frequent with 19 buses per hour running.

It has never been a bendybus.

And having the route 87 stuck on the end of it :)

New One:

Let's stay in London.

This bus service runs every 6 minutes during the day but in the morning peak is almost twice as frequent with 19 buses per hour running.

It has never been a bendybus.

I'm no expert but is it the 73?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Not the 73. As Ivo said it used to be a bendy. It runs every 5 minutes but is *less* frequent than the service I'm looking for in the morning peak.

Not the 5. Might have been a good bluff. That route's similar in the peaks to the middle of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.